Wow! Big Surprise!

dfernandez77

So I was headed for bed when I noticed that one of my ghost shrimp was so opaque that he was almost white. I took a couple photos from the front of the tank. And hey, check out those red wristbands

20090212-015227_800.jpg

I thought If I waited a little while, I may catch him moulting and get some cool pics. But I couldn't get any really nice shots, this one is from the back of the tank. Ok, now remember this angle, and those (silk) leafs on the left.

20090212-015615_800.jpg

Ok, so I snuck up on another shrimp, not quite as opaque as the first. But in a much better place to take clear pics. There didn't seem to be any progress towards a moulting anyway.

20090212-020642_800.jpg

Here's a little closer to the critter.

20090212-020642_800cu.jpg

Then I went around to the back of the tank again to take more pics. I saw a little piece of something float by in the current. Then it hovered in one place, kind of jumped underwater - then settles on a silk plant leaf. It was so tiny (3/16 inch or 5mm max) that it was hard to confirm what it was. I took one pic - look on the right edge of the leaf a little ways down.

20090212-020915_800.jpg

Then I took a little better pic. It was so tiny that it was hard to get a focus on it. So, this is the best pic I could get tonight, check out what's hanging on the tip of the silk leaf.

20090212-021018_800.jpg

It's a baby ghost shrimp!

Pretty darn cool! :)

wow that's amazing :o

you must have a great camera. ha. mine couldn't take pictures half as great as yours.

but that baby shrimp is gorgeous. i had baby fish once, and a ghost shrimp. the fish pretty much mutilated him. super sad.

i recently bought new shrimp, and have no idea where they went. hmm.

but you have beautiful shrimp =]

How exciting!!!! Ooooooh so cool to find the first baby, how many are there? And what incredible pictures. Really fun :exactly

PS Note to everyone (again) Its not the camera.....its the cameraperson. I have the same camera as Daniel and can seldom get a pic in focus ;)

wow that's amazing :o

you must have a great camera. ha. mine couldn't take pictures half as great as yours.

but that baby shrimp is gorgeous. i had baby fish once, and a ghost shrimp. the fish pretty much mutilated him. super sad.

i recently bought new shrimp, and have no idea where they went. hmm.

but you have beautiful shrimp =]

I agree with u that beancurd must have very good camera.. My camera cant even take fry pic.. lousy..

beancurd, can share with us... your camera model? hahaha.. ofcos pic of more baby shrimps also..

you must have a great camera.

Nope. It's pretty good. Just a 3 year old 5 megapixel prosumer digital.

PS Note to everyone (again) Its not the camera.....its the cameraperson. I have the same camera as Daniel and can seldom get a pic in focus ;)

You have the later version that is 7 megapixels if I recall correctly. Theoretically you should take better photos than me if it's the camera. :)

I agree with u that beancurd must have very good camera.. My camera cant even take fry pic.. lousy..

beancurd, can share with us... your camera model?

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28K would be the current version of my 3 year old camera. Here's the link.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

I recommend taking some photography classes to go along with the camera. :)

:Congrats:

as always great pics! :thumb:

well isn't that first ghost fancy w/ his orange wrist bands. :rofl

good grief that baby ghost is itty bitty teeny weeny!!

the more I see these pics the less and less scary looking the shrimp become... :)

wow. You actually got a baby ghost shrimp? Pretty remarkable considering that their larvae/nauplii are supposedly harder to maintain than cherry shrimp as ghost shrimp nauplii reputedly require brackish-to-saline conditions for a longish period before metamorphosing to juvenile shrimp. (Or possibly I'm mistaking the life cycle of the ghost shrimp with the Amano shrimp... meh)

Regardless, congrats for the baby and good job on the photos! :D