Too Many Snails?

Guest Chocolate Panda

Guest Chocolate Panda

I have a 10g guppy tank with both malaysian trumpet snails and pond snails (I didn't put them there on purpose, honest :P ) and I can see them everywhere. The tank already a bit overstocked with 8 fancy guppies.

My question is, can you have too many snails? How much bioload will they produce? Also, will I have Ph problems?

They're multiplying fast. Should I do start taking them out? Thanks. :)

I from time to time drop in a zucchini on a saucer, at night and if I get up at night remove it with all the snails on it. Or first thing in the morning.

I well do this till the population is down to my liking. I do this about twice a year.

Yeah actually snails produce an ok bioload so it easy to have too many. Especially considering the little buggers reproduce so fast. There is a reason they have long been considered pests. The zucchini remove trick is actually pretty awesome. Didn't even think of it but someone told me about it a while back and Hidr is right its a great way to make population management easy.

Remember if you do remove some of the population to find them new homes in aquariums or euthanize them. Snails can do a lot of damage to ecosystems if introduced.

Yes, DEFINITELY do not ever release things into the wild. That's the reason that apple snails are illegal in some states now.

Check with your local pet store. I used to always take in my extra snails. There are always some customers who were really excited to get them.