Can Anyone Identify Fido?

cometgirl

Last summer we found a fish in our pond, and we hadn't even added any fish yet. I figure he probably came in on one of the plants we bought. I thought he got flooded out in Hurricane Ike, but last week, I spotted him again. He is about 2-2.5 inches long. I haven't been feeding him, but he seems to be doing fine. There is a lot of algae and snails in the pond too. I'd like to add some goldfish to the pond, but I'm not sure what to do with little Fido. Here are a couple of pictures:

Fido1.jpg

Fido2.jpg

Anyone have any guesses as to what sort of fish he is?

Oh, and btw, its more likely a false SAE. The black stripe ends at the tail (real SAE's extends through) and it looks like a little yellow tint in the fins. Also, any self-respecting SAE wouldn't leave algae in your pond, and you said there's a lot. :)

Thanks for all the replies. The algae eaters definitely have the same stripe, but Fido's tail fin is rounded, instead of forked. Also, his dorsal fin is set back further on his body and it's very short.

After lots more research, I'm starting to think he may be some sort of topminnow.

What a lovely pond mystery to find him like that whatever he is :D .

He must have arrived as you say, as an egg on a plant. He probably doesn't even know what he himself is since there are no other fish in the pond to identify with and life itself has always been your pond! I hope you keep him.

Thanks, Trinket. I've been getting the pond ready to add a couple of goldfish, but I'm trying to figure out if Fido would be compatible with them. And I want to dose the whole pond with Prazi, without harming him. He definitely seems happy out there, to survive my total neglect.

It's very much a wildlife pond, with snails and dragonfly nymphs living in it, toads around the edge, and birds stopping by to drink from the fountain.

sounds like a beautiful pond.. :) ..

Sorry dont know wat the guy is...but how abt this guy...full_blackstripe_topminnow_1.jpg

Sorry forgot to mention the guy in the above pic is a blackstripe topminnow.. :)

Edited by SunshineGurl

JC, I think we may have a winner! I just looked at some more photos online of the blackstripe topminnow, and it really looks like the fish I have. Now I can find out what he eats, and hopefully whether the goldfish will get along with him.

Ooo, I just read that they eat mosquito larvae. He's definitely a keeper!

Im fairly sure that's the one Daniel kept in his barrel pond with goldies! Pre- the Big Nasty Racoon incident....And he got really chubby and was happy if i recall right :)