Anacharis (egeria Densa)

stevey87

I purchased 4 bunch of this plant in vvvv and they had mystery snails in the tank. Employee told me I can use zuccini to get rid of them. I don't have any and I'm not sure if that will eliminate them. I heard bleach treatment kills anacharis.

According to http://www.fishpondinfo.com/plants/submerged.htm#dilemma there are 3 types of 'anacharis' and the one I bought had the name 'Egeria densa' on the label. Not sure if this matters but just in case.

What can I do to make sure I lose all the snails? I washed them in tap water and put em in bowl for now. Can't risk raising snail farm. I only keep Japanese Trapdoor Snails; no other snails allowed.

Oh crap... according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egeria_densa it looks like this is the most tropical of the three. I hope it does well in my coldwater goldfish tank.

Edited by stevey87

The only way to be sure there's no snails is to quarantine the plant and watch for baby snails. You could try a very brief bleach dip, or maybe a saltwater dip, followed by quarantine. I used a salt dip once to treat a plant for snails, and it seemed to work (but maybe the goldfish just ate the snails...). I don't know what else might work; perhaps somebody else knows better.

The only way to be sure there's no snails is to quarantine the plant and watch for baby snails. You could try a very brief bleach dip, or maybe a saltwater dip, followed by quarantine. I used a salt dip once to treat a plant for snails, and it seemed to work (but maybe the goldfish just ate the snails...). I don't know what else might work; perhaps somebody else knows better.

Have you tried it with anacharis? I heard Anacharis doesn't take bleach or salt treatment well.

My experience with anacharnis is that it survives salt really well. I found out accidentally when I salted my ryukin several times while having forgotten to remove it.

I'm new to fish, but anacharnis is such an inexpensive type of plant, why don't you just throw it out and get new ones? Just a suggestion.

edit: I used epsom salt 1 tsp per gallon in a 12 gallon tank.

Edited by chichidongo

unfortunately this egeria densa and the elodea have been quite difficult (for me) when trying to disinfect (I don't want to remove the snails). I haven't found a "cleaning" solution yet that will not cause most if not all of the leaves to fall off. although, I haven't done quick dips I usually did a 1-2 week qt.

I have not tried salt, of all things so common to use I never thought of it before now.

many apple snails and those closely related can handle low amounts of aquarium salt.

How well can an apple snail tolerate cichlid-salt?

A: Apple snails tolerate little amounts of salt if you slowly build up the concentration. Be sure that the salt is dissolved before you put it in the tank so that the snail won't get in contact with the pure stuff.

copyright

one thing snails cannot survive are copper type liquids.

My fish have a disease and I want to treat them. Can those chemicals harm my snails?

The basic principle in combating a fish disease is to use chemical compounds that kill the disease, while having no adverse effects on the fish, due to neurological/metabolistic differences between the organisms.

However, snails have more in common with many parasites then with fish in the way they react to chemical substances. It's thus advised to isolate the snails in a separate tank during treatment of the fish unless you are absolutely sure that the product you use doesn't contain snail-toxic chemicals. And as many disease causing organisms do not survive outside the fish during a few days, together with repeated water changes in the isolation tank, the risk of reinfection through the snail reintroduction can be minimised. Exceptions to this rule are parasites that have a life cycle with snails and fish as intermediate hosts (mainly the case with wild-caught fish/snails).

A short list with chemicals that are/could be toxic to snails in therapeutic doses:

-Malachite Green (used to treat Ich or white spot, fungi and Velvet or Oodinium).

-Various organophosphorous pesticides like formaldehyde, metriphonate, trichlorphon (= dylox, masoten, metriphonate, neguvon, trichlorophon), dichlorvos and others used to treat infections with flukes, worms, crustaceans and lice.

-metaldehyde used as molluscicide.

-Various copper containing drugs to treat protozoa and fungus infections.

-Parricide D (Di-N-Butyl Tin Oxide) used to eliminate helminthes, acanthocephala, trematodes, cestoda and worms.

copyright

hope that info helps. :)

Once upon a time I had a planted tank. It became positivly infested with snails (common pond snails). I swear by the millions EVERYWHERE. So gross.

What I did to fix it was move my big orandas Chewy and Randy O'Randa to fixed the problem (this was in the 150g). All snails gone within a couple weeks. I moved them back to their tank. Within two weeks I saw babies everywhere again. I moved them back and I have not seen a snail in 9 months. Goldfish LOVE snails.

Just wanted to share....

Once upon a time I had a planted tank. It became positivly infested with snails (common pond snails). I swear by the millions EVERYWHERE. So gross.

What I did to fix it was move my big orandas Chewy and Randy O'Randa to fixed the problem (this was in the 150g). All snails gone within a couple weeks. I moved them back to their tank. Within two weeks I saw babies everywhere again. I moved them back and I have not seen a snail in 9 months. Goldfish LOVE snails.

Just wanted to share....

I'm a bit confused. You are saying you moved in the big orandas and they ate the snails?

I ended up cleaning the snails then I bleached it for a little over 2 min. Doesn't look like the plant is dead but..... I would buy the plant somewhere else but the thing is Pets mart was the only place they had it and they have a lot of snails in there. I didn't see snails before and after the bleach treatment because I cleaned it before but I hope the plant survives. Leaves did fall off somewhat but Most of the leaves are intact. I hope I didn't underdo the bleach treatment.

Yes, at the time the 150g had tropicals. I moved in the big orandas and the started eating the snails within the first 5 minutes of entering the tank. They simply sucked them up, chomp chomp chomp, and out came little bits of crushed snail shell and they swallowed the snail. Totally dessimated the common pond snail population in no time flat. You know how goldies love to eat!

I had the snail problem for months and months, I had no idea how to get rid of them. I was soooo worried that I would have to break down the 150g. Then somebody at smarty-pet tried to sell me a big ryukin to eat them. I already had the orandas, problem solved. Who woulda known?

Yes, at the time the 150g had tropicals. I moved in the big orandas and the started eating the snails within the first 5 minutes of entering the tank. They simply sucked them up, chomp chomp chomp, and out came little bits of crushed snail shell and they swallowed the snail. Totally dessimated the common pond snail population in no time flat. You know how goldies love to eat!

I had the snail problem for months and months, I had no idea how to get rid of them. I was soooo worried that I would have to break down the 150g. Then somebody at smarty-pet tried to sell me a big ryukin to eat them. I already had the orandas, problem solved. Who woulda known?

Is it the oranda in your pic? He doesn't look so big.

I have the same plants in my tank, the first 2 weeks they didn't look to good. As of last friday i noticed they are all growing. The new stems and leaves are a bright green and look great. I keep my 55gal at 72degrees and they are growing.

I have the same plants in my tank, the first 2 weeks they didn't look to good. As of last friday i noticed they are all growing. The new stems and leaves are a bright green and look great. I keep my 55gal at 72degrees and they are growing.

That's so great, JPond!

After the 2 min bleach dip, the plants looked like dead after a day but now new green stems are growing on sides. Do these plants do well floating as well? I assume they would since those don't have roots right now anyways and are growing.

Yes they will do well floating. I did some follow up after reading the original post here. It is not recomended to keep these plants in the tank while doing salt treatments, or doing a bleach dip with them.

Edited by j-pond