Why Are My Fish Constantly Trying To Spawn?

cici_pedro

My fish are still very small (about 2-3 inches tail included) and I would guess very young. (I know it is hard to tell when they are from the LPS, however, I don't see any sign of delayed development) However, my pearl scale is constantly trying to spawn with my ryunkin. When I first brought her home from the store I thought perhaps I had set up the conditions by moving her from a cooler tank into a warmer one. I set the same scenario again when I my fish had ick, by raising the temp. However, I am noticing it seems he does this to her every time there is any stress in the tank--adding a new fish, getting moved around etc. I have never seen her release any eggs, but he will do it all day, just like the videos I have seen of spawning. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Or what I should do about it?

You obviously have been caring for the fish nicely. They are plump and primed to breed - something they would NOT be had they not had sufficiantly good water and food. You have then transitioned them from "winter" (cold tank) to "spring" (warm tank). Spring means time to spawn - so they will spawn. The fish will try to spawn multiple times a year if taiken through this transition of cool to warm - but will have a mixture of success depending on breeding prep and times they are induced to spawn.

Keeping the tank on a more even keel of temps should help to cool their jets a bit. Otherwise, you might do best to separate the males and females to different tanks.

Like daryl my assumption would be there is slight temp fluctuations occuring in that tank enough to make them think its warming again at point. Has it been cold and then warm a lot whre you are? Are they near a window that allows air to pass in? Do you use a heater and if so does it turn off automatically or do you have to turn it off? If everything is seeming good and water temps aren't changing then daryl is definitley you are going to have to move one to another tank or get a tank seperater, the male will damage the female pretty bad with all that breeding.

Good luck and keep up the good work.