Fin Rot Help !

fade066

Ok so here's the deal. BB Has had fin rot for a couple of weeks. Tess died a few days ago unfortunately :( I've been trying to treat them with "General Rid All". But because of the carbon in the filter, the med gets filtered pretty quick. I knw i shld take the carbon out, but idk where to place them. There's like four of them in the filter. And my dad doesnt want me to throw the carbon catridges away. Fin rot has been ongoing and getting worse.

Oh i saw the exact same fish as WallE and bought him ! He has all the same colourings and all and i just couldnt resist ! But now his tail is becoming raggy.. His tail is extremely beautiful and i wanna save his tail !

I also transferred my three baby platies to a 45 cm tank. (finally) They're like a couple of months old .Thought of putting the carbon cartridges in their filter but im scared they will get fin rot too.

Im stopping by the petshop to see and ask the uncle there what i should do and buy some meds.

I have not posted when BB started having fin rot coz i have restarted school for abt a month and ive just been so caught up in my schedule. I feel teribbly guilty !!!

This is actually one of the few times i've used the comp for the past month. Might come online tmr after school. But there's no guarantee. So just post and i'll come back as soon as possible !

Thanks!

I would hold back on using meds until a mod or helper gives you a go-ahead. Often, if the meds aren't for the precise right diagnosis and/or your water isn't in perfect condition, you'll do more harm than good.

Can you post your water parameters and as much info as possible from the white box? I have a sneaking suspicion something is going on with your water, especially given the addition of a new fish and death of another recently.

Howdy, Please reply with more information as this always helps the bigwigs and smartypants who know there stuff, the information that is really useful is:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Secondly, I have lost a fish due to fin rot but managed to save another fish by daily doses of salt at 0.1% salienty. Salt kills the bacteria in the water and then you a daily water change to remove the bacteria, top up the water and add salt.

1tsp per gallon, dissolved prior to putting it in. Once salted wait 12 hours do a very large w/c, temp and ph match to reduce stress. Also provide shade for the fish so they can rest, perhaps switch off lights or place a hood over the tank if it is open topped.

I'm gunna post some links shortly

Update

Fin Rot is a Bacterial infection the the water hun. There is two ways you can try to get rid of it.

1. Salt treatment with water changes everyday and air stone in the tank.

You would want to add one Teaspoon for every gal of water, Then next day do a 95% water change, then repeat over again.

2. Maracyn or Maracyn 2 this is a antibotic treatment to kill the bacteria in the water, the problem is it might kill off the good bio bugs in the water.

The reason for this is that Finrot if you might have seen my other post is in the water, its bacterial and need to be moved out, but the salt will kill off the bacterial. This is why I suggested it hun

These quotes were taking from my post about my bout with finrot. In my experience of it, medicating isn't excellent till you can confirm the diagnosis. Salt such as rocksalt also only has that in it whereas medicines have a myriad of unknown chemicals which may harm your fish in otherways or kill off your beneficial bacteria in yer filter.

Edited by fortunefaded