Possible Breeding Behaviour ?

alistairw

Frodo is definately a male and his breeding stars are now visible. Have never been sure if sam was male or female though. For the last hour or so frodo has been chasing sam around the tank in what i believe could be the start of breeding behaviour. Am i correct in thinking this ?

Alistair

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxc2o_cs9VQ

It looks very like it in that video. It isn't really aggressive yet however so I wonder if Sam is quite ready or not. Or maybe Frodo is just a gentlemanfish lol. Occasionally males will chase larger plumper males in a case of mistaken identity but usually and if its repeated often its going to indicate male>female.

I would say Sam is female (that name works both ways!) and that is beginning breeding behavior yes.

Did you do a large water change recently -that can trigger breeding behavior.

I did a 50 % water change earlier today. Frodo has had breeding stars last year too so i have know he was male for some time now. I think this confirms that sam is a female. Will have to keep an eye on them trinket in case frodo becomes to agressive.

Sorry to be a buzzkill but here is the thing. That does look like breeding behaviour. I have a big plump ryukin (definitley a dude cause I have seen his breeding stars a couple times) but my fantail seems to get in the breeding mood with the slightest of tempature changes and everytime he chases this poor ryukin back and forth trying to breed over and over again. Two dudes just like each other aparently. I should really get a gal for the tank so they could take it out on her. So sorry I have no way to gaurantee you that Sam is either just thought I'd throw some evidence out there that Sam could be a dude.

Could be that you are correct Toadie. Only time will tell I think. However, have had Sam and Frodo for almost 3 years now and this is definately the 2nd or possibly even the 3rd time in that period that Frodo has had his breeding stars. This is the 1st time that he has exhibited any breeding behaviour though. In all that time Sam has never had a hint of a breeding star.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's official. Sam is female. Frodo's breeding stars are the most prominant since i got him and he has been pestering sam again. Got up this morning and there are eggs everywhere. In the plants, on the moss balls and all over the bottom of the tank. Bilbo, my new chocolate oranda has been moved to a 10 gallon qt tank as he took quite a beating from my 2 males frodo and pippin. He has a few tears in the dorsal fin and is being mela fixed as i type this. Merry the other chocolate oranda has spent the day eating as many of the eggs as he can :(

Woot! yaya pretty babies!

I have a question though,,,,

I just watched the vidio. And as I was watching I thought to myself, "hmmmm,, that looks familiar". My orange and white fantail, Spaz is what I have been calling "bully". He's plump and scowly and throws his awkward weight around. I have only had my guys since late August so I know they can't be near old enough, but the behaviors Frodo had been dis[laying in the vidio are exactly how Spaz behaves towards some of the other fish. And now my calico fan tail Uno is doing it!

Spaz follows along (as best he can, he's a lot slower) almost stuck to the others sides, and will give nips to their bums,,

Is it possible for a fish who is too young to be sexually active be able to at least display those behaviors? No breeding stars or anmything, but it looks just like the vidio,....

It could be that your fish are older than they appear! Fish that are in the fish store are often already 3-6 mos old. They are just small because they are getting poor nutrition. It could be that your guys are already a whole year old! I think they start to be sexually mature at around 1 year, so it's possible..........

Edited by ryukin girl

It could be that your fish are older than they appear! Fish that are in the fish store are often already 3-6 mos old. They are just small because they are getting poor nutrition. It could be that your guys are already a whole year old! I think they start to be sexually mature at around 1 year, so it's possible..........

Hmm, that's interesting.

I have no doubt they could be about a year old. They were pretty small, but by no means itty bitty when I got them at the end of August, so they could very well be right on the cusp of a year. But no breeding stars, just cranky, chasey behavior.