My Amano Tank Attempt

El Pez

Hello,

I recently decided to trim all the moss off the logs in my goldfish tank as it was taking over the tank and i was left with a small bucket of the stuff. I decided that i would try to create an Amano style tank (complete with amano shrimp haha). Anyways after a couple days of trying to create a moss wall and use that as the bottum of my tank and failing at it i decided to try and just weight down the moss with some of the gravel in the tank and a few well placed rocks. I was just wondering if anyone has ever tryed this or if you think it will work or not. I'm concerned the moss won't grab on to anything and just float around. Also, I'm concerned that I won't be able to vacuum the bottum due to its lack of hold to the bottum. The tank has about 11 tetras (neon/glowlight) and 2 amano shrimp and a ghost shrimp. I'm hoping the moss will fill out the bottum and start growing upwards. Pictures are coming.

What do you think?

Is it java moss? I couldn't quite tell but that's what it looked like to me. It took me awhile to get it to attach to my driftwood and I never could get that carpet effect of it going on the bottom of the tank. Try tying it to the rocks with fishing line. Eventually it will attach.

I can't remember the name of the groundcover that Takashi Amano always uses. I tried it once and failed miserably. I couldn't get it to attach OR stay alive! Try doing a search for groundcovers and you may locate it. As for the moss you have in there, maybe add some driftwood for it to attach to.

I also might recommend some taller plants of some sort, as Balashark suggested, to give your tetras more plant cover. But the tank looks nice. I really like the rock placement.

I don't believe it is java moss as it is lighter and more "ferny" than java moss but works much the same on logs and rocks. It likes to grow out rather than up. Anyways, today was a big mix up with the tanks in my apartment. My tinfoil barbs have gotten too big for my 55 gallon tank so i went down to my lfs and strolled a 33 gal for a mile back to my place on my long board. I simply filled it with water and some black gravel, added a 30 powerhead from aquaclear and a smaller normal filter and stuck the 3 piggies in there along with their smaller brother. I know that it is actually down sizing for them but with nothing in it they actually have more space to swim. So i decided to take down my amano tank attempt and added those fish into my 55 with the bala sharks and gouramis. With the tinfoils out of there it allowed me to plant the tank so i gave it a shot and it has turned out well. My biggest bala shark seems to miss the company of the 3 huge tinfoils but i guess it is time he learned to make friends with his own kind aka the smaller balas. I'll add a picture of my 55 tomorrow. It is more impressive than my little 10 gallon i think. hope you like it.

the grassy looking stuff is called Jungle Val. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the kind that jump but they reproduce or expand by using a stringy shoot to plant itself somewhere else.

the grassy looking stuff is called Jungle Val. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the kind that jump but they reproduce or expand by using a stringy shoot to plant itself somewhere else.

thank you! that's exactly what I meant by jumping. lol

I couldn't remember what they were called and I wanted some more. thanks thank thanks!!