silver8328

Sores On Fish

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level?0

[*]Nitrate level?30ish

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?7.5

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?7.5

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Tetra Laborett Deluxe Test Kit; drops

[*]Water temperature?72

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?55 gal; more then a year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?2 Aquaclear 70 (300 gph each)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?around half every 1 - 2 weeks

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?3 commons averaging 7in each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?Omega One floating pellets twice a day; 12 hours apart

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?no

[*]Any medications added to the tank?I just added PraziPro this morning, it's the only thing I have on hand and thought it wouldn't hurt

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? One side looks like craters and the other side looks like a funky looking zit. When the fish went under the light at the top you can sort of see in the fish and it looks like there are more of whatever these things are under the surface. He is also looking thin and IME that is never good and I have never had any fish come back from it.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? I noticed the other day he was hanging out at the surface of the water more then usual and gulping a little and now today he is laying on the bottom.

Another one of my fish had what looks to be the same thing around a year ago but she never got thin looking and it eventually just went away and she is still fine to this day. They share the same tank but when she had them the others where fine and showed no symptoms. Now it's him with whatever this is but he isn't handling it so well. I do have pics but the camera that I was using isn't very good, you can see what I'm worried about though.

BTW, it's a mirrored background

This one you can see the zit looking thing. Where the scales are missing is where these things were but were much smaller in size before they fell off or popped or whatever happens to them when they disappear. They started showing up around a week ago but he showed no other symptoms so I didn't think it was anything serious.

IMG_0102.jpg

This one you can see the dark spot near the top of the back, that is the thing inside of him.

IMG_0105.jpg

This one you can see where he had one and now it's just a crater.

IMG_0107.jpg

What is it and what can I do to save my fish?

hi, thanks for filling out the information at the top! :thumb:

your nitrates are pretty high, can you do a water change today and retest to see how much they've lowered?

also, having 3 commons that large, they are going to be producting a lot of waste and 50% water changes every 1-2 weeks is not enough. commons need 20 gals each, and you only have a 55 gal tank so you are overstocked. more water changes will be a big improvement. I would also hold off on using any medication until a mod arrives.

I know they are overstocked but it is the best I can do for them and 55 gallons is better then they were in for a couple years. 30 actually isn't that bad since I have nitrates in my tap and I have been doing my water changes like this since I have had them for almost 5 years. Yes I know I could do more but I don't think I'm doing that bad either. Thanks for posting though

Thought I would add that I did do a water change today and the nitrates were in between the 20 and 40 colors so that is why I said 30ish and that was before I did the water change. But since out of the tap the nitrates are around 15 that is why I said 30ish isn't that bad. I also went and actually looked to see how much I actually take out each water change, it's more then 50% but not quite 75% so I guess maybe around 65% every 1 -2 weeks. It really depends on how busy I am.

He was laying on the bottom when I just went to check but when another fish went over to him to peck at the bottom of the tank near him is started swimming again. The one thing on his side looks like it has a little dark spot right in the center and it looks a little smaller. I don't know if maybe it popped or if the PraziPro is doing something.

silver- this sounds awfully like ulcer disease/furunculosis. Those side zits that swell and pop. The bacteria (aeromonas) are shed in the popped ulcers or furuncles back into the system and can re-infect.

This should be treated with an appropriate antibiotic before the fish bloats up/dropsies after which it is hard to heal. Sulfa-ormetoprin is a good one for this and can be found in Medigold food from Goldfish Connection OR in Maracyn Plus. Either are possible best treatments (not both).

How is the fish right now, Silver? Any improvements? :)