Sign in to follow this  
Shamu23

Sign My Petition

I only need 85 more sigs to get to the 200 mark, thats when I'll contact or government representative, so please sign it! U can find the link in my siggy :D

I don't really want to ban them. They make wonderful homes for betta's.

What we need is more education for the puplic about what goldfish need.

Well then they should sell them as betta bowls not as goldfish bowls :)

What we need is a petition to send to the people that make them so they take the goldfish off the front of them.

I agree with your latter statement. I don't know about the first. I don't see how a bowl with no filtration could be good for any fish. I think even a Betta needs a 5 gallon tank with full filtration.

thx to everyone who signed it so far :D

Well, I'm gonna pass (for now) as it sounds like to BAN GOLDFISH BOWLS would mean you want them not to be sold anymore. I agree with your reasoning (of course) but it should be more worded towards Removing Goldfish from the packaging & aiming more towards Bettas or whatever. I just don't think they're gonna stop making them. I feel a site like this is more for INFORMING & EDUCATING. JMHO!!! :blink:

Edited by Jeana727

Well, I'm gonna pass (for now) as it sounds like to BAN GOLDFISH BOWLS would mean you want them not to be sold anymore. I agree with your reasoning (of course) but it should be more worded towards Removing Goldfish from the packaging & aiming more towards Bettas or whatever. I just don't think they're gonna stop making them. I feel a site like this is more for INFORMING & EDUCATING. JMHO!!! :blink:

ok sure, everyone has their own opinion :)

personally I think their not that great for bettas either, the openings at the top are just too small

Signed and commented. Despite what you guys think about bowls being good for bettas...they aren't living, but surviving. Why is it so hard to give a nice home for a betta?

I still didn't mean it would be GOOD for a Betta, mine lives in a ten gallon tank with 2 snails!

I signed it. you've got a lot of signatures! :Congrats:

I signed it too! I despise bowls with a burning passion. Every time I unpack a box of them at the shop, I rip off the tag with a goldfish on it.

I may be wrong, but I think Italy has banned the use of goldfish bowls?? So there may alreay be a precedent set!

I only need 85 more sigs to get to the 200 mark, thats when I'll contact or government representative, so please sign it! U can find the link in my siggy :D

I was just thinking...I'm not a resident of Canada...does my signature count? :hmm

I think so, Im not doing it just for Canada, but since I live in Canada Im gonna go after our government first lol, give them something to think about once I get enough people ;)

we learned in school how to do this kinda thing and contact them, I think my teacher signed it cuz it was related to our class eventhough he kept a goldfish in a bowl

Edited by Shamu23

I agree with your latter statement. I don't know about the first. I don't see how a bowl with no filtration could be good for any fish. I think even a Betta needs a 5 gallon tank with full filtration.

Not really. I have three betta's in one gallon "goldfish" bowls. With 100% weekly water changes they do wonderful. Funny too the last two I have put in my 5 gallon don't live as long. /shrug Might be a fluke so I keep tring. Got Prize in my 5 gallon now that Casanova who only lived 10 months is gone. I have also had Prize for 10 months. Most of that time he has lived in a 1 gallon bowl. So well see.

I agree 100% with Hidr.

I do not think a ban on bowls is a good thing. People will still use decorative vases or whatever. I really think it is an education problem. I also agree that a better solution would be to remove images of goldfish from the packaging.

I have also kept a betta in a 2g drum bowl. The last one lived almost 5 years in it. Longest lived beta I have had to date. It had those live plants you can buy as bulbs and some river rock mixed with flourite. The beta was constantly building his bubble "spit" nests and would activly swim around. Yes I would say he was thriving. No filter either.

I also had a 2g drum bowl with internal filter and mini heater. I kept micro rasboras in it. It was also a nice tank. But it was still a "bowl".

If you really think you want to ban bowls, then what are you going to do about those 1.5g finding nemo tanks, or the more reputable eclipse nano tanks (1-9gallon tanks). They have GF on their packaging as well (at well as too many GF). You going to ban those too? You will be fighting a loosing battle. I suggest you tackle this in a more direct approach. Somrthing will better prevent people from carrying out the same mistake in the first place.

Simply asking for them to remove images of goldfish from any vessle less than a specified amount would be more worth your time. People would just buy a little eclipse or somthing in its place. Banning bowls will not fix the problem.

Edited by NightAngel

Signed. This is how it started in Italy. Goldfish bowls aren't banned there but it is illegal to keep a goldfish in them now. I wonder if they have now changed the name of goldfish bowls there ?

I signed.

They didn't have Japan listed so I said Hong Kong :)