Why Are Fish Beating Up New Fish?

Guest black n yellow

Guest black n yellow

i got a new fish and after doing procedue i put him in. Then my telescope eye just went up to him and strated nipping at his tail and started picking on him. why is this happening?

He's probably jealous cause the other goldfish is better looking than him, haha no but seriously he's probably just an aggressive fish, or just got used to being by himself, My black moor shows aggression when its feeding time, even to my oranda that's twice his size, but he's never hurt them. If yours start hurting your other fish I would suggest seperating them. Somebody probably has more knowledgable advice and will come along and tell you what to do.

Yeah could be a number of things. Tank dividers that are clear have worked for me in the past getting them accustomed takes just a couple of days and they don't seem to want to fight as much. Some fish are aggressive and will nip just cause they can. Tank size might factor in I don't know what yours is but if the fish feel crowded they tend to aggression a little more. I have a beautiful long tailed ryukin who got a bit of a beating when introduced same sort of thing tail nippings. Anyways someone suggested that my fish picking on him was a bit randi and I should check that. When I checked out the aggressive fantail he had the spawning spots on him so he just wanted to spawn thats all. In the process he ripped up the new guys tail a bit but after a couple of days it ended and he got better. The problem is everyone in my tank is a guy so the spawning thing plays itself out weird. If you put a big silk plant in there they will spawn into it and end the ritual for the most part. Don't worry about babies you can raise them by removing eggs with the plant or if you don't want them the goldfish eat their eggs anyways.

Good luck

It's terretorial thing. Basically telling him to get out of my home. This happens a lot in tropical tanks. Take the aggressive one out for about 30 min and rearrange the tank and put him back in. Aggressive one will think it's new home.

same thing happens to my fishes just I make sure I normally get two from the same tank at my lfs so that they already have been around each other.

SO it isn't too bad!