Sign in to follow this  
tinkerbell

Upside Down Goldie

hey guys! long time no speak!

I have a slight problem with one of my ryukins :( occasionally he will turn upside down and stay like that for a few hours. The res of the time he just sits at the bottom of the tank...

all stats are fine, except for *slightly* high PH, which i am working on...

Any ideas? I really have tried everything i can think of :(

Cheers, Alice xxx

I'm sorry, i wish i could help. Maybe a MOD will come around soon. Best of luck!

sorry to hear about your ryukin. does he have a sbd history? what is he eating? have you tried fasting or feeding only peas?

Yeah swimbladder is tough try the peas but I do know sometimes a fish with swim bladder ends up being a fish with swim bladder for the rest of their lives some fish do not react to swimbladder treatment.

Hope I am wrong and good luck.

My red cap does that, too. I fed her peas every day for a week and she still flipped over. I still feed them peas once a week and I put a wide mouthed vase in the tank for her to sleep in so she doesn't wake up a million times to flip back over.

I have tried peas and fasting :( Im thinking that maybe it is a long term SB problem :( I feel so sorry for the little guy... I have changed his diet a million times to see if that would help but no luck so far...

Cheers for the help guys

Depending on how much you're willing to spend on him you could take him to a vet. There's a few procedures for fixing persistent swim bladder problems. They can puncture the swim bladder and hope it refills properly or they can insert weights into the fish to restore a comfortable buoyancy.

I know someone who has used Flaxseed and baby food to help her fish with SBD and it appears to have worked very well.