Sign in to follow this  
Guest yayfish24

Baby Bottles?

Guest yayfish24

Ive seen pics of people feeding their koi and goldfish with baby nottles. I was wondering what they put in the bottle that the fish eat. Im sure its some kind of finely crushed begis but what kind?

thanks for your help

John

Guest yayfish24

well i found a video on youtube and the guy is feeding his koi pellets from a bottle. im still not sure about a liquid food tho.

Edited by yayfish24

Its pellets, never seen that done but definitely pellets there :)

:welcome

Guest yayfish24

ive heard of someone using a miquid or maybe something like a gel to put in the bottle too.

never knew you could use a baby bottle!! :blink:

Steve thinks that handfeeding goldfish is "unnatural" :rolleyes:

So he is trying to use a syringe (with no needle, or course :) ) to feed his goldies. I will let you know how it goes! I imagine the idea is the same as a baby bottle.

I am not sure about the bottle though because the goldfish can't suck (they don't have lips).......was it a baby bottle with nipple and all?

Edited by ryukin girl

Precisly. He's so weird. He thinks that aquariums need to be "exactly like nature" And I always say....

Keeping pets isn't "natural". If so you need to build your dog a wood in the backyard and teach it to howl at the moon.........

Boys, there is no reasoning with them :rolleyes:

Guest yayfish24

im not sure if it had the nipple or what was on the end but it looked just like a baby bottle. the vid i posted looks like he probly cut off a small amount at the end of the nipple for the pellets to fall through. im just looking for something fun for my neise to do with her goldfish. i myself am more of a cichlid person but i enjoy the goldfish we have.

You could spend a little time hand-training them!

I always get a kick out of my goldies nipping at my hand! It's so adorable and it's really bonding.

It takes a bit of effort though. Well, not so much effort as a willingness to put your hand in the tank and hold it completely still for about half an hour while they get the point. But I think it's worth it!

Guest yayfish24

ya they do that a bit right now but the bottle would be fun cuz my neise loves to give bottles to her baby dolls. shes only 4 so i think she would get a kick out of it

There are several ponders that I know that use a baby bottle to feed their pond koi. It is done for several reasons, they say. The nipple is cut off such that one or two pellets will fit out the hole at at time - even when turned sideways. This allows them to let "less than competant" feeders feed the koi successfully, without overfeeding.

One ponder that I know has grandchildren who like to feed the fish. They shake the bottle over the pond as vigourously as they wish - and the fish still only get a small amount in the shake. It is easy to control the amount of food given.

The other ponder has two dogs - a yellow lab and a Jack Russel terrier. Both dogs LOVE feeding the koi. THe ponder leaves a baby bottle next to the pond and the dogs are allowed to feed the fish whenever they wish. They will get up, go over the the pond, pick up the bottle and pour food into the water multiple times a day. The dogs also wrestle over who gets to use the bottle - it is really quite the sight. This allows the dogs to "take care of their pets" and limits the amount of food they can dump in the pond at any given time.

The other ponder has two dogs - a yellow lab and a Jack Russel terrier. Both dogs LOVE feeding the koi. THe ponder leaves a baby bottle next to the pond and the dogs are allowed to feed the fish whenever they wish. They will get up, go over the the pond, pick up the bottle and pour food into the water multiple times a day. The dogs also wrestle over who gets to use the bottle - it is really quite the sight. This allows the dogs to "take care of their pets" and limits the amount of food they can dump in the pond at any given time.

that is so funny, but so cute at the same time!! it's almost unbelievable! can you get a video of that?! ;)