Goldfish Temptation.....

Bubbleboy

Ok, so I'm at the mall with my mom and sister (Almost ready to blow my brains out), so I go into the pet store they have there. I see all the dogs, rodents, birds, turtles, but what I was really after was the goldfish. Now, I've never bought a goldfish from this store, because they have a habbit of not taking care of them. There is always disease everywhere in the tank, and you feel immensly sorry for all the fish in there. But, they have some cool fish sometimes and I just thougth I'd take a look. To my amazement, I saw some really cool fish.

I've never actually seen a pompom or a celestial eye goldfish before (except in books) but here is where that changed. Before me, amongst masses of floaty, ich covered fish, I see some very beautiful celestials and chocolate pompoms with red.....pompoms? lol. They're so cute!!! I wanted to rescue a pompom, but remembered my last attempt to rescue from this store ended up with the fish dying in a day. Plus, I had no quarantine tank set up. It was just too much. Luckily, my fortitude was strong today and I resisted. :) I'm quite proud of myself haha. But at the same time, sad for those adoreable goldfish :( .

:devilangel

Who will win?

I would say, if you have the QT tank and the salt and prazi and heater and all the other various things you need. DO IT!!

DO IT NOW!!!

heeheehee

Must be that place you were asking me if I'd been to--well, I know it's hard to resist. But yeah, if you have a good q-tank setup then why not get a fish from there? It's not like they're all that expensive and you could feel good about doing a rescue if nothing else. :)

at the mall with my mom and sister (Almost ready to blow my brains out),

HAHAHAHA :)

I'm with Hidr on this one, you rescue the one fish, and the pet store in encouraged to buy more goldfish to not care for, and sell. To you its a good deed, to them its a sale.

A coworker of mine is really into parrots and their welfare, and she reads a lot of stuff by people who work hard to save birds from bad treatment in petshops and homes. This one guy, whose name I cannot remember, calls buying animals from awful pet stores "ransoming" (as in you paid the ransom for it), not "rescuing", for the exact reason Hidr and Bala have said. We save that ONE animal, but it is replaced with a hundred others! Ah, it's a vicious cycle. But you were smart, let your feet do the talking! You could also write a letter to the store saying that you are disappointed with their level of care and will not be patronizing their establishment because of that. I'm pretty sure something as official as a letter is passed on to the higher powers!

A coworker of mine is really into parrots and their welfare, and she reads a lot of stuff by people who work hard to save birds from bad treatment in petshops and homes. This one guy, whose name I cannot remember, calls buying animals from awful pet stores "ransoming" (as in you paid the ransom for it), not "rescuing", for the exact reason Hidr and Bala have said. We save that ONE animal, but it is replaced with a hundred others! Ah, it's a vicious cycle. But you were smart, let your feet do the talking! You could also write a letter to the store saying that you are disappointed with their level of care and will not be patronizing their establishment because of that. I'm pretty sure something as official as a letter is passed on to the higher powers!

That's such a great point. That's why I like buying my supplies online. The cheapest place in town for fish supplies also sells puppy mill dogs, so if I ever buy anything there I feel guilty for supporting them.

I agree...I hear a lot of people saying they rescued their puppy from a pet shop but paying that high price for a puppy mill puppy just makes the puppy mill industry more profitable. I won't buy fish at all from any store that sells puppies or kitties unless they are working with a legit rescue group.

Yeah, you have good points and it's for a similar reason why I won't buy more fish from wally mart--but it really just depends on how much you want a certain fish. It still matters to that one whether or not you give it a better life so that's my opinion anyway. :idont

Guest Aquarium guy

hi bubble boy! good to here from you again! wow, good choice you made there my friend. goldfish need special requirements. trust us, you would have even spend more money once you bought that fish. i had 4 goldfish in the past, all 4 had disease, and it costed me so much stress, money, time. anyways, good job and take care.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Sorry I haven't been on in AGES. I just became too busy and time got away from me. Especially with Finals and all. But those are over and I'm ready to help out and be a part of Koko's again :) Hope I don't get in trouble for "bumping" this post. I should probably start a new one...lol