A Marina Betta Kit?

Guest Aquarium guy

Guest Aquarium guy

hi, i was just looking at a u-tube vid. and i saw a person having a beautiful red betta in one of those marina betta kits from hagen. well i was only curious to see if its ok to put a betta in that kind of tank? its a 1/2 gallon betta tank but i was only curious

its a little funny also, but ignore that. im onl curious about the tank and if its ok to put a betta in there.

thnx, and if anybody owns a betta in a marina betta kit please show a pic of it. take care :)

Edited by Aquarium guy

Oh yeah, we use those all the time at the store to seperate a Betta if it is sick to keep an eye on it. You can keep a betta in there of course, but it's so tiny, it's tricky to decorate without taking all the little guy's swimming space away, and left bare it looks so boring.

In my opinion of course. ;)

I sure do!

It can certainly work as a betta container, as the lid has air ventilation slats in it (the betta needs access to the surface air, or it will drown). But as I said it has drawbacks in that it is very small, which means that you would have to do a water change quite often, and there is not much room for him to swim.

It's so much more interesting to give a betta a larger area, because then they are more active, and more fun to watch!

imao not a good permanant home for a betta. Might be o.k. to put him if you want to put him in a seperate container while cleaning his tank but not a good permanant place to live. I had one of my first bettas in one of those and he did not live long. the water quality goes bad in them quickly unless you do a complete water change daily. Really too small in my opinion.

Guest Aquarium guy

awesome! i used to have one of those kits for my betta, i was only asking if it was ok. also, if u treat a betta with meds. and no filtration, can the water become acidic? because i did this to a goldfish before in a bowl and his water started bubbling. i was soo freaked out. can u treat a betta in a tank lie that with meds? or will the water become dangerous?

meds do not usually turn water acidic to my knowledge. if you had a betta in this type of container it would be hard to medicate him if he became ill because of the small size of the container. As I mentioned you have to do daily water changes with something this small and I don't think bettas are too happy in such a confined space, not much room to swim in.

1/2 gallon is not enough. It needs to be at least a gallon. I have two in gallon bowls and one in a gallon jar. Easy to move to do twice a week 100% water changes. Only time I have ever seen any of mine make bubble nest is in my gallon tanks. lol

I also like 5 gallon bow fronts. But don't have room for four. So I just have the one. Only weekly 50% water changes for that. However not to crazy about the filter on this one. It is kind of fast and I have to put some floss stuff on the intake to get the water to slow down. Otherwise my poor betta gets tossed around.