Worried About Ej...

lclayton

My betta EJ seems to have gone really lethargic and just hangs out at the top of the tank, not really moving much.

I've had him a little over a week, in that time I've done a gravel vac and 2 partial water changes. I have a filter on his 3.65G tank. It's heated to about 78F. I soak all of his food before I feed him it. I feed him 2 or 3 hikari pellets a day, and maybe a freeze dried bloodworm or two, or a single flake. Never more than 3 small feeds a day. He is still feeding enthusiastically. He doesn't look swollen at all.

I don't know what's the matter with him :( any ideas?

Could be a number of things. First when you do a water change do you make sure the temp of the new water is the same temp as the water in the tank that you are exchanging it for. You might of shocked him a little with water that was a touch cooler than what he was in when you did the water change. 78 degrees is not bad for a betta . My breeder freinds keep them at 82 degrees during the time they are breeding only. Don't let the temp go below 72 degrees.Another possibilty is he could be constipated. If you suspect this you might try fasting him or her for a couple days . you can try feeding him a pea that has been deshelled if he will eat it to aid in elimination. I could never get my bettas to eat a pea but you could try because others on this site say theirs will eat it. Is his fins or tail ragged or do you see any signs of illness on him like white patches or spots? Or a gold fleck like appaerence to him? Also how big is th container he is in and is it filtered? If it is under 3 gallons you should be doing complete water changes every 3 days if the tank is unfiltered.

Hi bettaqueen

I always temperature match and treat any water I add. I last did a change on Monday morning, this sluggishness came on Tuesday morning.

His fins don't look any different to when I bought him. He has always had something of an irridesence around his gills and mouth, it certainly doesn't look like ich or fungus and it hasn't got any worse. He isn't flashing (if they even do this?) or swimming against anything.

As I said he's in a 3.65 G tank (or I guess 3.5 taking substrate etc into account) and yes it is filtered, the output is very low and there isn't much of a current.

Maybe he is constipated. Now you mention it, not sure I have seen him poop at all, though there was some when I vacuumed. I will try fasting him for a day or so and see if it helps. Would salt help constipation? I don't have any at the moment...

Thanks.

It might. I have heard of using epsom salt with extreme constipation, but I would not go that route yet. Try the fasting and a pea if you can get him to eat. Also did you change anything - like move is tank around, change the amount of light coming into his tank, put him in eyeshot of another fish?

Hmm...I hve been wondering whether he gets enough natural light and have just this second moved the tank over to where my other tropicals are, nearer a window (not direct sunlight). THis might perk him up a bit too. I havent moved any decor or anything.

Other than getting him to flare a couple of times,no, I haven't really done anything else to him other than feed him.

EJ seems to be getting worse :(

He's spent a lot of time in his hideout today, coming up to breathe and then zooming straight back in. I don't know if that's worse than always hanging still at the surface?! I speak to soon, he's back at the top again now...

After a 24 hour fast I have fed him a single dried bloodworm (soaked) which he ate (nipping my finger at the same time!). He seems really...grumpy and stressed. He still doesn't look ill though, no patches or ragged fins...

You know when you just KNOW though, that the worst is going to happen?

Well, he has Ich. I've done a water change and turned up the temperature and hopefully I'll get some aquarium salt soon. How much should I use to dose a 3.65 gallon tank? If he lasts that long that is...

if you get the Dr.Wellfish ( they sell it at wally*world and lfs ) for a couple dollars. comes in a package like a milk carton . It has the dosages on the side of the carton. A higher temp and the salt will work. The higher temp helps speed up the cycle of the ick and it's eggs. I had goldies with it and a week or the salt and higher temps cleared it up.

Thanks bettaqueen but I'm in the UK - we don't seem to have half as many meds as over there, I have to get a lot of stuff online or on eBay :( I knew I should've got more salt when my last bottle leaked everywhere (used to treat one of my goldies for swimbladder).

Haven't ever had to treat ich before and I'm so mad with myself that he even has it, it must be my fault.

Hopefully he can hang in there until the salt arrives in the post.

All he does is hang out in his castle and come up for air. Still feeding though. Should I do anything else? Keep the tank dark?

I have heard you can use kosher salt or pickling salt too . which you might be able to get over there. Just do not, and I repeat do not use table salt because it has a caking agent in it that will kill your fish.

Well I've been treating with salt and a higher temp for a couple of days and he seems to be getting worse. He's stopped eating and instead of hiding out in his castle and coming up for air, he's not leaving the surface of the tank.

Preparing myself for the worst :(

I am so sorry you baby died. :cry1 Ich is pretty relentless and spreads and kills fast if not treated soon enough. I lost three pearlscales a couple years ago to it. I layed down for a nap one Sunday afternoon and when I woke up they were covered with ich and died the next day. Sorry again for you loss