Snail Companions

Monkeygirl

I have three golden apple snails (I suppose mystery snails) in a 30 gal tank and I would like to add some fish just to have a little more movement in there. I read the list of compatible fish, but I would rather hear from somebody who has snails with fish and how the get along. Thanks for any info. :)

Personally, I have always kept snails in a species only tank and since they are so messy I have stuck to the goldfish rule (10 gallons per animal) but, if you have the filtration I'm sure as long as you kept your water tested and the maintenance up to date you can get by with adding a few fish.

Any peaceful tropical fish will be fine with apple snails. Don't go with anything aggressive, because they will attack the snails. If it were me, I would go for no more than 6-8 fish in your current tank to not stress the bioload too much.

I have apple snails in my 55 gallon tank with angelfish, yoyo loach, BN pleco's, tetras. I also have one in my 10 gallon with my WCMM. And I have a couple in my goldfish/Dojo tank even though I was told my Dojo's would eat them. They never bother them at all.

Thank you both for your replies. I plan on getting about 5 fish so there is something swimming in the tank. It looks so empty since the snails like to hang out in the prirate ship. :rolleyes:

I had them in my dojo tank before and they did not bother them, but my dojos are pretty big and when they swim they knock the snails around, so I took them out.