Bottom Sitting

Bubbleboy

Hello all. I think you might remember a few months ago when I came here, Fiona was having problems floating. That has since subsided with a few minor outbreaks here and there. Very well diagnosed and under control. However, she recently decided to float on me after feeding her some misis shrimp. I think it was because they tend to float for some reason and she might have sucked up some air. She's fine now though.

The problem is, she's resumed her bottom sitting. She's been doing this for a week or so, but shows no signs of illness. She merely sits on the bottom in the corner of the tank facing me at my computor. This is very odd, but she dosn't seem sick at all. She eats normally, and all that. The only thing I can think of is that I've gotten into a habbit of falling asleep much too late. So could she not be getting enough sleep? I don't want anything bad to happen to her. :unsure: If you put your hand near the corner, she'll "wake up" and root around for a little while. Could she be lonely? She's never had a tankmate (except for one that tried to eat her). She also released eggs not too long ago. Could this be her internal clock telling her it's time to make babies and she needs a boyfriend to keep her company? I want the best for my little Fiona. What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like you are wanting to get advised to get another fish Bubbleboy :D

I think she is still having slight feeding issues/sbd issues. Maybe she's busy making more eggs and is very full. Anything that makes her feel full can have her resting on the bottom where balance is that much easier.

This is assuming you have ruled out water issues, flukes and disease.

We need to know your tank stats and the white box questions need to be answered.

Ok. Thanks Trinket. I don't know if I want another goldfish or not. I really want someone to keep Fiona company. It seems kind of mean to keep her all alone like that :( but at the same time, getting another goldfish is such a hassel! I'll definitely think about it though. Like I said, I want the best for Fiona. She definitely has enough room for another friend haha. But I'd be nervous she dosn't want to share her home with another friend (and would eventually end up eating him/her like my other goldfish did when I got Fiona). That always keeps me from getting another fish :( .

I'll get those water parameters to you asap Trinket. My weekly water change is today, so we'll see pretty soon.

Awwww thanks Chichidongo. But I think everything's fine :) .

Alright. So before doing the water change, here are my water params:

Nitrite-0 ppm

Nitrate-~10 ppm

pH-7.6

Ammonia-0 ppm

Then, I performed a "30%" water chage, even though it looks more like half. Oh well.

Anyways, here are my params after:

Nitrite-0 ppm

Nitrate-5 ppm

pH-7.6

Ammonia-0 ppm

I know Nitrates are just a tiny bit high, but I really doubt that's what was causing her to float/bottom sit. So now I don't have a clue why she was/is bottom sitting (haven't seen her do it in a while but idk when she might do it again). I think I'll stop feeding her misis shrimp, because they tend to float and I think she sucks in air when she eats them.

Thanks for the help everyone. Keep my other suggestions in mind, and tell me your ideas.

I think she may be going to release more eggs. Feed her up to encourage that, peas and veggies often help.

Your nitrates are just fine.

The only other thing I can think of is a sudden dive in temperature would do this.

Ok thanks Trinket. I'll keep an eye on her. She alternates between bottom sitting and activity. I'm going to continue her diet of fresh foods only but today is sunday, her fasting day. I think it best to fast her today too, since she was floaty this morning. I'll keep an eye on her though :) .