Snails

Guest black n yellow

Well, first off it would be great to know what kind of snails you have. None of them are really a threat to goldfish, but the "pest" snails that you can sometimes get when you buy plants and the like can over run the tank and cause you quite a bit of headache.

If you have the large apple snails (Canas, Mystery Snails, etc.) then the goldfish are more a threat to them than the reverse. Goldfish are set off by the waving of the antennae, it makes them think of worms or other live food and they will quickly nip them off. I had a golden mystery snail in a tank with two goldfish once, and they nipped her antennae off and even took quite a hunk out of her foot.

As far as diseases, are you concerned about anything in particular? As with all new additions they should be in QT before being introduced into the main tank and watched for any unusual signs.

If you need anything else, please feel free to post up.

And, I notice you have just 7 posts.

:grouphug:welcome:grouphug

Guest black n yellow

yeah i have 7 post nothing special and i have qt them . i have 7 snails for free how nice!!! and why are mystery snails called mystery snails

most pet stores in the states can only sell "mystery snails" and not apple snails. pet stores used to sell apple snails until people started dumping unwanted snails into rivers and lakes where the snails started to eat all of the vegitation. it is illegal in certain states to even carry snails across state lines. I think that mystery snails are either apple snails, or a close relative. but for legal purposes they have to be sold as mystery snails.

Actually, apple snails and mystery snails are often considered to by synonyms. Apple snails are called apple snails in reference to their size, natural coloration, and the shapes of their shells. Mystery snails are called that because when they started appearing in the pet industry their species and origin was a mystery to shop owners.

As far as legality, each state has different rules for aquatic snails. You will probably have to search for your state on Google to find out more information, or contact a local game warden to find out where you can get the information. I have a magazine at home somewhere that lists a lot of the snail legalities, I will have to search for it when I get home from work.

Yeah I have snails and they haven't caused problems and I love snails in my tank. I know tons of people hate them because of their breading but I haven't hand an overrun. That being said two new guys appeared recently so maybe I am in for a shock. I have a mystery and a zebra and they are probably my most entertaining inhabitants. As for the goldies being a threat to them I hear a lot of that I think thats hit and miss I have never seen my fish nip at the snails my moor has crashed into them and knocked them off the glass but thats about it. But I have heard of the tentacles being nipped and I am pretty sure about 3 months ago I hade an itty bitty little baby that got eaten cause I had three itty bitty little babies. They are goldfish they'll eat their own feces so I would think that anything smaller is in a little bit of danger.

Have fun with the snails.