Dwarf Puffers Not Eating

apocraphya

I got 2 dwarf puffer fish today and I can't get them to eat. I've read on a website that they may not eat for a couple of days when first in the tank but me being me, I'm panicking and don't want to wake up in the morning to find them dead or ill. I've tried them with bloodworms and the ain't interested at all. I'm going to try and get some snails for them tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on their experiences? All advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the new fish. They can be a little finicky when they first move in, its perfectly normal for them not to eat the first day or two. Snails are good cuz you can leave them in the tank til they're hungry. Any other food, be sure and remove what they don't eat ofcourse.

After they've settled in, be sure and post some pics. :)

[edit] typo

Edited by balashark

I'm just over anxious. I've taken out the food they haven't eaten already as I don't want it rotting away. Apart from that they seem well and very inquisitive and very cheeky at times. They've made me laugh a few times bless them. Thanks for your advice. I need to learn to chill out a bit. Will get some pics posted once they've settled in.

They are great little fish, and have a ton of personality. I know what you're going through tho, worrying about them :) They'll take a little time getting acclimated to their new home, then you won't be able to stop them from eating!

Just an update on my dwarf puffers. Got them some snails today and they ate them no problem :nana My panic is now over for the time being. Will still keep a close eye on them for the next few days.

That's great! And just a warning, they won't hesitate to nip your finger if you happen to dip it into the tank. I made the mistake of getting overconfident when feeding mine... I thought hand feeding was a good idea...

They are amazing little pets. I really, really miss mine and hope to get more some day. I had a 30 gallon full of them! I raised pond snails (Physidae) in a separate tank to keep a constant supply of them going. I also would supplement frozen feeding with live blackworms sometimes, which they go crazy for.

Just a side note, I wouldn't attempt to keep any other fish with them.

Great, you got them! :D

How do their bellies look? Are they round like marbles or slightly sunken? I always do precautionary worming with Wormer Plus when I get new ones. I lost one of mine when I first got them as the wormer stuff didn't arrive in time and it was all head and no body by the time it died :( They were really small and skinny. The wormer sorted out the other three beautifully. They're now fatties as you know :D

They were thin when I got them but their tummys are getting more round now that they're eating. I'm a worrier and no matter how much reading up I do etc I still worry.....lol. I will order some wormer plus to have handy though. Thanks for that advice. Skoot looks thinner sideways like the the belly is slighty sunken in but looks like it's just down to the markings. Both are eating and pooping fine. I'm saving up for a bigger tank but will keep what I have for now. I should hopefully get my plants tomorrow. Went to my lfs to get some yesterday to tide me over. Any tips or advice you have would be much appreciated. Dj and Skoot are just amazing and are comical. Thanks again Jennybugs

How are your babies looking?

I remembered to mention that if they look fat when fed and skinny again an hour or so afterwards then they may need worming. I used Wormer Plus from plymouth discus. Only had to do it once and they have been fine ever since. Always good to have around just in case though - it won't harm the filters or anything else (although it does kill snails).

Skoot seems ok but Dj's tummy doesn't seem to be very round/fat after eating. Hopefully once the wormer plus arrives it'll sort them both out. I've also answered on my other post and asked about what you feed your dwarf puffers and where you get their food.

Skoot has decided on not eating snails and instead eats bloodworms :( Dj however is eating snails no problems and would rather have them than the bloodworms. I'm hoping Skoot will eat snails soon. Fingers crossed anyway.

Skoot seems ok but Dj's tummy doesn't seem to be very round/fat after eating. Hopefully once the wormer plus arrives it'll sort them both out. I've also answered on my other post and asked about what you feed your dwarf puffers and where you get their food.

I should have mentioned that the question on feeding dwarf puffers was for Jennybugs..........doh, what am I like?..........lol

When I had mine they would only eat fresh live bloodworms not freeze dried or even froozen they were so picky and weren't even that interested in snails.

I think Jenny gives hers bloodworms and also has a little snail farm going that she uses to feed them. Wormer plus is definatly a must with DP's and works well.

Good luck

Yes, Helen is correct :D Mostly mine eat blood worms and brine shrimp - live mainly but also frozen. they do eat small snails but rest easy - dwarf puffers rarely have issues with overgrown beaks :D

I get all my foods from LFS...never feed them ffod from fishmongers etc. It's not gamma ray treated.

Thanks Helen and Jenny. I've finally managed to join the dwarf puffer forum on dwarfpuffers.com as every time I tried there was an error. Someone from there says it looks like I have 2 males and need to get a couple of females but this can't happen as I only have a 35ltr tank. I'm going to be getting Alistair a bigger tank later in the year for Sam, Frodo and Pippin and I'm going to have the jewel tank that he has at the moment for Dj and Skoot. I can def see wrinkles behind Dj's eyes but can't on Skoot, both their bellies are quite yellow and I stupidly assumed they were of each sex.......... :oops:

I'd rely on the eye wrinkles for sexing really. Some insist only males have yellow bellies and the dark line down the tummy but it's not true.

You'll be fine with them while they are young anyway. Mine are older and still ok and not fighting. They all have their own area of the tank and are happy. If you do have two males then there will come a time when they get feisty but I think that's a long way off yet :D

I'm glad to hear your dp's are eating ..I have an abei puffer and I had to train him off live food (whatta pain )tying food on a string to make it look alive ..he eventually came around ...I too was use to goldies that will eat anything ..then I went to a puffer that has a distinct dislike to some foods (like Brine)..hates it!!!...but loves mussels..Puffers are a great fish they are sooo sassy...mines pissy and is getting big ..and loves to try and attack during tank cleanings ...I have a wonderful wooden spoon to distract him and to keep all my fingers intact. :D ..My husband says Puffers are kinda like women ..you never know what they are thinking ,when they will change their minds and can strike at any moment !!..lol...enjoy your puffs !!!!...also a good sight is "the puffer forum "if you have not checked it out ..it has a grat dp section ...plus all the other cool puffers that you could get addicted to :unsure:

Thanks Heidi. I'm just in from work and have just got myself registered on that site. I'm already registered at dwarfpuffers.com but the more info I have the better. Thanks again for your info.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm such an idiot. I got tiny ramshorn snails a weeks ago and put them in a tank without realising they carry parasites :doh11: No wonder Dj wasn't eating much and he was thin, as he was the only one that would eat them. Skoot will only eat the pond/bladder/pouch snails. How stupid did I feel!! Anyway, they have been treated with wormer plus again and they're both fine. I've never known Dj to enjoy food so much. He loves prawn and I also tried them tonight with some plain boiled monkfish again he loves it. Skoot is still only eating bloodworms until I can try and get more pond snails. Even though Dj goes mental with the prawn, Skoot just glances at it and does his wee shimmy swim as I call it to feed him bloodworms. Then as soon as he see's the pipette, he swims as fast as he can to the top of the tank and goes straight for it. I really wish he wouldn't swim up so fast as he sometimes splashes out the water ever so slighty. I'm just glad to see that Dj's tummy gets bigger at feeding time.