Y Is It So Hard To Take Care Of.....

why is it so hard to take care of goldfish they are so dirty all they do is crap, crap, crap and make the tank dirty. I have a Cichlid tank and I have so many fish in there and its so clean compared to my Goldfish tank.

Edited by ChUcK_ThE_RaNcHu

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! Not! Goldfish do not " just ##### and #####". The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, remember? I think chichlids are a waste of time, myself. It'd be so boring if we all liked the same fish.

I know you posted that in jest, because, being here surrounded by gf lovers, you do want to continue living, right? lol

Chiclids are for lazy people who can't even get up once a week and change the water. They're stuck in their Lazy Boys glued to their remote.

(grinning; backing up ve-e-e-ry slowly)

lol

Guest GoldiRocks

LoL

IMO, all domesticated pets crap, sleep and eat...but they gave a fuzzy and warm feeling to the owners (pride/joy/love/happiness etc)

I had dogs, guinea pigs, hamsters, goldfish, koi, aro etc and they do the same thing(crap, sleep and eat, just different location and method)

Goldfish versus other fishes, I think the other fishes are calmer to look at and relax (less maintenance too), but I just have this attraction to goldfish and hence forgive their super pooing power ability.

If your GFs are pooing excessively, you might be overfeeding them or have inadequate filtration/pump speed

Goldfish versus other fishes, I think the other fishes are calmer to look at and relax (less maintenance too), but I just have this attraction to goldfish and hence forgive their super pooing power ability.

Me, too!

Goldfish versus other fishes, I think the other fishes are calmer to look at and relax (less maintenance too),

I think gf are much more relaxing than other fish since they are ornamental fish and other fish do nothing but dart around.

My tank is crystal clear and I'm pretty proud of that. Is your tank overcrowded?

*shrugs* to each his own :) I have had a lot of the 'typical fish' growning up. I have had gouramis, mollies, barbs, etc. I also had at other points oscars, convicts, severums etc. To be honest, with the exception of the severums and oscars, those fish were a dime a dozen. Didn't have the personality of goldfish, and were pretty indistinguishable from each other. So, goldfish poo a lot... at least they don't try to nip my fingers off like oscars do :) or nearly try to kill the rest of the tank when setting up territory, or eat the smaller fish in the tank just cause they can. So to each his own I say :)

:P

I have a lot in my 100 gallon and the water isn't dirty. I haven't even been doing weekly water changes like I used to, and everyone is fine. I attribute it to a lot of gallonage per fish and excellent mechanical filtration.

Lolololol! Cichlids are clean?! Have you ever owned an Oscar?? Get a couple of those and then come talk about how superior cichlids are in terms of cleanliness!

But seriously, saying "cichlids are clean compared to goldfish" isn't really fair, there are sooooo many different types of cichlids compared to goldies, and they all vary widely in terms of how much they poop and affect the tank. I had some Lamprologus Ocellatus, and they were very clean indeed, but the larger cichlids put the filthiness of most goldies to shame, my friend!

What kind of cichlids do you keep? Incidentally, I love most cichlids, especially the little ones who act all tough and are the size of your pinky finger. They have such attituuuude!

• Admin

I have kept alot of fish in my life. I do have to say Goldfish are a dirty fish, but it just means they need more filtration than other fish. With my Guppies I dont need 2 filters on the 20 gal tank but with my goldfish I need 2-3 filters on my 80 gal tank. My salt water tank which Im taking down has a HOB and a skimmer, that tank and the guppy tank stay cleaner with one filter. Just means that goldfish take alot more effort :)

Goldies are over-achievers :D

My goldies are actually pretty clean. My tanks are stocked at their limit or just under and water params are always right where they need to be. When I do w/cs there is almost nothing but tiny poos and leftover foods that get sucked up. Maybe my filters are just really good?

I dont find mine that messy at all really, could be beacuse I have 3 filters on my tank that ensure not much gunk is left. My moss balls make more mess when they get chewed up! lol.

When I do weekly changes I only really vac up sediment, and its only a small ammount.

If your tank gets that dirty you're probably overfeeding. I also have been guilty of that. Their little faces at the tank just look soooo hungry! Every Sunday when I clean the poo and food off the bottom of the tank I SWEAR to resist them!! I have 2 50-70 gallon filters running in the 55 with the goldies. On my 30 gallon tropical tank I have 1 30-50 running and it never looks dirty at all. Goldies are just dirty little critters.

But then again, what does my cat do? Hmmm....eats, sleeps, poops, plays, eats, sleeps, poops, and plays. If he thinks I've been on the computer too long to suit him he will sit next to me and start poking me with his paw though, lol. And I also have to clean his litterbox. So I guess thats what we are with our pets. Poop cleaners!

why is it so hard to take care of goldfish they are so dirty all they do is crap, crap, crap and make the tank dirty. I have a Cichlid tank and I have so many fish in there and its so clean compared to my Goldfish tank.

I wonder if Henry & Porky ever think that of me. "All is does is crap, crap, crap and make her house dirty. She keeps our tanks clean, why can't she clean up after herself? what a sight!" lol