Ingrown Scale?

SnowBabe24

[*]Test Results for the Following: Results after water change 1/16/09

[0]Ammonia Level?

[0]Nitrite Level?

[5]Nitrate level?

[7.6]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[7.6]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[API master freshwater test kit]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[70]Water temperature?

[10g Has been running for 2 years]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[2-3 times a week about 60% each time]How often do you change the water and how much?

2 about 5 inches]How many fish in the tank and their size?

I have been salting 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for about a month now due to a bump in my cycle. Aquasafe, and cycle. Some times amquel +]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

They just got over septicimea about a month ago, so now they are eating jump start for at least another week]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[nope]Any new fish added to the tank?

[no]Any medications added to the tank?

[see below]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[no]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Ok here's my dilemma. For a few weeks now, I have noticed a spot on Gracie behind her gills/gill plate up towards the top of her body that looked like a scale was missing. Now it looks like the scale is trying to grow in. There are the beginnings of a scale, but it doesn't seem to be making any progress. Its more of a slight lump under the skin. Externally it looks flesh colored, and it almost doesn't look like scales are missing like a kind of hole in the skin where one would be. Its almost flush with the body, but no scales. Could a scale get ingrown, and cause a cyst or lump under the skin? The lump is barely noticeable. Seems to be bothering me more than it does the fish. Other than that she is acting normally.

Chester lost a scale (or *something*) back when he had bad fin rot, and the exact same thing happened -- a bump that gradually got bigger and darker, and now he's got this weird, maybe permanent cyst thingy stuck to him.

Don't know if it's the same thing, but I had absolutely zero luck treating him with either medicated food or sulpher-ish medicines.

Chester lost a scale (or *something*) back when he had bad fin rot, and the exact same thing happened -- a bump that gradually got bigger and darker, and now he's got this weird, maybe permanent cyst thingy stuck to him.

Don't know if it's the same thing, but I had absolutely zero luck treating him with either medicated food or sulpher-ish medicines.

That's exactly what my comet Areil has. It happened over a year ago, and she has not shown any ill effects, but it may have been a rather rare situation

Here is a link to photobucket to see the pictures of Gracie. The spot is right behind the gills/gill plate up towards the dorsal fin area. It looks like a missing scale spot but it just doesn't look right. Tell me what you guys think it might be, or am I just overreacting. Like I said it looks like a bump/cyst thing, but when I was holding her I ran my finger over the spot and it just feels like flesh no hard lump or anything. http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp72/Sn...24/IMG_0491.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp72/Sn...24/IMG_0487.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp72/Sn...24/IMG_0486.jpg

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp72/Sn...24/IMG_0485.jpg

It looks like a normal growing scale to me. You could raise your salt to "tonic level" 0.1% or 1 TSP per gallon. Also, you shouldn't salt all the time as it will negate the effect you need when it's really needed.

And might I add, what a GORGEOUS comet! But....

You need to get a bigger tank for them. Gracie alone should have 20 gallons, plus another 10 or 20 for the second fish.

I had to salt the tank, because I had a bump in the cycle after treating the tank a month ago with maracyn2 for septicimia. I am in the nitrite phase right now, and am waiting for them to disappear.

I have a bigger tank, I am just a waiting set up as I have to leak test it and so on.

I hope its just normal scale growth, but the bump under the skin which i don't think you can see from the photos is the part that concerns me the most.