Pro-gold Caution

amynmitchell

Last night I was in a hurry and didn't soak my Pro-gold. I almost exclusively feed a Pro-Gold gel food that I made. Well, I dropped in about 15 pellets for my three fish and they sucked them up as soon as they hit the gravel. Pro-gold sinks like a rock.

All three of them sucked it up so quickly that they got very obvious tummy aches. Scarecrow was the worst. I think she sucked down 8 pellets in under ten seconds. She almost immediately was laying on the bottom gasping for breath. I panicked and thought she choked, so I gently picked her up, pulled her out of the water and tipped her head down, then released her. The same way you would for a choking fish. She spit out a few of the extra pellets and seemed to immediatley feel better.

Then I noticed that both Tinman and Cowardly Lion were laying on the bottom looking miserable to. So I had to do the same thing for them.

So, even though there isn't an air issue with Pro-Gold it looks like I need to soak mine to make it easier to swallow and feed it sparingly. Because my goldfish have no self control...

Ah, that's the way I like to eat everything - suck it up with no control.

Hope they get better, Amy. Keep us posted!

- the Other Amy

I always break up the pellets with my fingers. They're just big enough to make me nervous.

Though I've seen Sephie get a few too many and spit'em out too. Then she chases them down again. Maybe this is actually her idea of fun. Weirdo.

Well, they are totally fine this morning.

I think it was actually JC who posted about choking fish...she is our resident expert on that one. So, JC, post it for tip of the month :rolleyes:

Oh tht is a very good thought on Pro-gold..A lot of members feed it without soaking as is...I always soak them...its soo easy for the fishies to gulp them like pigs...Oh and my gurls are pigs...absolute pigs...for the same reason I had to come across so many instances whire my piggies got choked with food :blink: ..even peas...and thts how I came up with the helping a choking fish...and helpedquite a few ppl with gravel stuck in their mouth... :D

glad u liked it guys...I ll post it as a tip of the month.. :D ..thnks..

My fish get several different kinds of foods, of different qualities and textures. They have to work at both the veggies and the progold. Grab a little piece and chew it - and come back for more. I think they are possibly conservative and don't gulp down too much of anything at once.

Sounds like your goldies are used to foods they can gulp down. Spoiled rotten huh? :)

Conservative goldies when it comes to food...is that possible!

Mine are totally spoiled. Lynda teases me because they are literally spoon fed. The each get a peice of gel food popped directly in their mouths, no muss, no fuss and I know who has eaten what. So they only really have to work for veggies three or four times a week.

I haven't done the Pro-Gold in a while and they sort of freaked out over being able to cram as much in their mouths as possible without me controlling it. Of course, Tinman has been known to grab three peices of Spinach in his mouth at once and then go sit in a corner until he can get it swallowed or until I pull it out.

And JC, totally enter that for tip of the month. You have helped save many a goldie with that one.

Mine will gobble up a bunch at a time and sit and chew it for a while, sometimes they will spit a few out just because they saw another pellet falling...

Soaking food is definitely a good practice for any food!

All three of them sucked it up so quickly that they got very obvious tummy aches. Scarecrow was the worst. I think she sucked down 8 pellets in under ten seconds.

My fish do that. Especially George, He thinks every meal is his last. I call him the chipmunk of the tank, and hoover....lol

My mom recently told me that one of her friends said that her daughter overfed her goldfish and that its intenstines burst. She was like I told her that was impossible, no animal would eat to the point of death. Sadly, I had to tell her that it is totally possible.