Celestials....

endangeredlovex0x

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever had any problems keeping them....

My new baby tends to be a bit of a bottom-swimmer....is this just stress from shipping, or should i be concerned?

Also, she tends to bump into the walls of the tank every once in a while- and although this is perfectly adorable, i'm begining to think she can't see at all :krazy:

As far as feeding goes, i've been giving her pro-gold sinking pellets....but i'm afraid to try anything else due to her lack of eyesight

*le sigh*

any tips for looking after the visually impaired?

Edited by Callie

I have a Black moor who is short bus material. He does a lot of dumb stuff like find a way to get stuck in a rubber plant then when I free him up go back and get stuck again (he's on his own the second time eventually he always gets out.) but he is also visually impaired for sure especially with the ryukin and fantail in the tank. I hand feed him to make his life easy plus its fun. But he also seems to think the walls of the tank are passable from time to time or any solid object is and he'll be swimming along and then bump oops. I would be less worried about is intellectual abilities but he bumps something backs up you'd think changes direction, no not my Omor he just runs right back into the same thing usually gets the idea to change route on 4th try. Ah I love Omor he is fun.

I have a Black moor who is short bus material. He does a lot of dumb stuff like find a way to get stuck in a rubber plant then when I free him up go back and get stuck again (he's on his own the second time eventually he always gets out.) but he is also visually impaired for sure especially with the ryukin and fantail in the tank. I hand feed him to make his life easy plus its fun. But he also seems to think the walls of the tank are passable from time to time or any solid object is and he'll be swimming along and then bump oops. I would be less worried about is intellectual abilities but he bumps something backs up you'd think changes direction, no not my Omor he just runs right back into the same thing usually gets the idea to change route on 4th try. Ah I love Omor he is fun.

:rofl

that's so cute

:D

but i can't help but be concerned about my newbie's bottom swimming....she kindof just shuffles about looking for food and whatnot.....but it seems kindof weird.

she also seems to enjoy drifting under the filter output and letting it push her in circles- consequently, i end up freaking out.

i suppose i could try handfeeding, but she seems pretty wary of me for the moment.

:rolleyes:

Yeah a lot of fish are kind of squirmish I was lucky Omor took to hand feeding real fast. I have seen some fish who take a little while to get used to new tank. Could bottom sitting be part of the huge change in conditions that is from store tank to yours temps PH etc and just adjusting or stress of a new home maybe? I think I would just monitior the fish real close and see if any other signs pop up if your water is testing well then this is all you can do. Make sure water is in great shape helps settle the little guy. Also I have a fish that every few weeks plays that trick with the filter doing the work always worries me but goes away in a couple of days. Could be part of stress reaction.

Keep us posted.

Bette Davis is kind of the same way, so I think you can just chock it up to a) the fact that celestials are, you know, blind as bats and b) that he's new and might still be adjusting.

(Mine won't find food unless she literally runs face-first into it, which is why as far as I'm concerned it's good that she scoots around the bottom -- otherwise she'd starve!! :rolleyes: )

Bette Davis is kind of the same way, so I think you can just chock it up to a) the fact that celestials are, you know, blind as bats and b) that he's new and might still be adjusting.

(Mine won't find food unless she literally runs face-first into it, which is why as far as I'm concerned it's good that she scoots around the bottom -- otherwise she'd starve!! :rolleyes: )

hahahaha

so this is bassically normal blind-fishy behavior?

(example provided below :) )

click me!

Callie, it probably is just stressed over everything it's gone thru' and needs a few days of quiet time. I keep forgetting you haven't done this before, sorry. First off don't have the lights on for a couple of days and just let her settle in. I don't usually try to feed the day they come. Depends on the fish. Some are hunting food right now, others just want to lay low. You could add 1% salt (1 tsp. per gallon) to her tank which will also help her destress. Shipping is tougher for some than others. And Celestials do have a harder time finding food as they can only see up. So anything that's down they have to find by smell and usually do. Keep an eye on her but don't fuss with her too much. I'm sure one of the mods will pop in and have some advise for you as well, but you probably will be ok with doing this till then. This is just what I do with any I have had shipped and so far they have done well.

Callie, it probably is just stressed over everything it's gone thru' and needs a few days of quiet time. I keep forgetting you haven't done this before, sorry. First off don't have the lights on for a couple of days and just let her settle in. I don't usually try to feed the day they come. Depends on the fish. Some are hunting food right now, others just want to lay low. You could add 1% salt (1 tsp. per gallon) to her tank which will also help her destress. Shipping is tougher for some than others. And Celestials do have a harder time finding food as they can only see up. So anything that's down they have to find by smell and usually do. Keep an eye on her but don't fuss with her too much. I'm sure one of the mods will pop in and have some advise for you as well, but you probably will be ok with doing this till then. This is just what I do with any I have had shipped and so far they have done well.

eeeep!

i forgot about the lights :unsure:

(i turned them off just now)

three or four days of darkness will be good for her to adjust...right?

thanks so much for all the advice kathy :D

::: laughs :::

That is the most bumbly little thing ever!

It sort of makes me realize how un-celestial-y Bette Davis is. Wrong body, wrong back, wrong tail, eyes point silly... but at least she runs into things and looks confused! Score one for her! :happydance

eeeep!

i forgot about the lights :unsure:

(i turned them off just now)

three or four days of darkness will be good for her to adjust...right?

thanks so much for all the advice kathy :D

Room lights are fine, just no aquarium lights for a couple of days. I didn't notice the vid link before so took a look. She seems to be getting pulled around by the current somewhat. Do you have anything you could put on the bottom for her to have a a place to get away from it?

the fish looks fine but I agree with Kathy that there is too much current in the tank. Keep the lights off for a couple of days and just go with natural room light. Celestials do tend to be more of a bottom to mid range swimmer so that is not unusal. Also what is the temp of your tank Celestials are bit more sensitive and do like the water in the low to mid 70's . Also you might want to order the food that Ken feeds all of his fish. It is called aquadyne. Your fish is probably not use to progold and he may be reacting to it Your fish looks great and you are doing fine with him/her. Just keep us informed

wow, that is a unique shaped fish! I havet ever seen one. And I thought my black moor's eyes were funny... :)

i think i might place a terracota pot in there, for her to escape the current.

although she seems much more active today, and begging for food.

....actually, she's adjusting quite nicely.

she really is turning in to quite the sweetheart :D:heart

thanks for all the help you guys!

For the current in the tank..I noticed the water level is too low...you cud go an inch and half higher than the current water level...tht will splash the water much calmly...and she wont be too bothered...

Gorgeous fish...I love the shape of her body...and nice color... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some of these fish at the LFS the other day, I thought about you and ur little fishy haha

Wonder if I will ever get one :-/ They look so..... unique

• 4 weeks later...

My celestial bumps into objects without fail and also without harm so far :) for feeding he seems to get the most food when i mix some bloodworms and flakes in water from the tank (in a cup) and than pour it in. He also tends to stay on the bottom alot nibbling at the plants.

i think i might place a terracota pot in there, for her to escape the current.

I put a clear glass vase in my tank for one of my fish to escape the current. She likes the glass because she can rest and still check things out. Most of my fish don't like the terracotta :twocents