Sign in to follow this  
toothless

My (huge!) Black Moor

:D wOW! Great Pics! CAn't wait to see the finished product!!! By the way,the fish in your aquarium are cutie pies!! :heart

Have them for over 2 months now...splitty (having a split tail somewhat) is very friendly and heads towards my hand for food. Snowy (off-white, I know, but I ran out of name ideas) is the cautious one. Very fiesty for bubble eyes these two!

splitty.jpg

snow.jpg

PS: I hope splitty doesn't succumb the dropsy...I've lost enough fish this year! :unsure:

Awwww! Your bubble eyes are cute :heart . This breed of fish used to freak me out a bit, but I've kind of warmed to them. Pity I dont have enough room for another fish ........or can I make room?...hmmmm <_<

Lovely pond and fish, I love your butterfly koi!(i think there called that)

How many gallons is your pond?, your tank is very nice aswell

very cute goldies.

The pond is 8,177 gls, 33 ft. long, widest point is 14', the deep end is 3 ft., midway it gently slopes up to a 1' depth. The waterfall will hold another 735 gls in the pool, it measures 12 x 10.

We had a friend with a backhoe come in, the pond was 75.00 to dig, we also had him bring in big rock to line the creek bank that needed done anyway. So I don't count that cost towards the pond.

We purchased 3 rolls of 20 ml black plastic, 100 yard rolls. Those run about 39 each, but you get about 6 layers of plastic. This was underlined with newspaper.

189.00 for the pump, 59.00 for a filter box the pump sits inside of and then we run that through a fish mate 6000 uv & bio filter that we bought on sale. Think it was around 350. Next summer I will be adding two strawberry pot trickle towers to that also. There was a few odd's - n - end's, fittings and such. The rolls of tubing run around 20.00. The edging rock was 110.00 a ton, which just did one row. We plan on adding two more row's over the next summer. The rest of the rock we have been going out and hunting those down out in the woods, large flat pieces.

For the most part Raith, I've been working on it for a year. The basics go pretty quick. But to tell the truth, one of the reasons we did it this way is because I have access to the creek for fresh water supply, its simply a matter of moving the pump back & forth. We installed a overflow pipe just above the water line for rain and flushing purposes. I can also drain the pond with the pump too.

I have a very large yard (1 acre) and that spot just happens to be one of those that won't grow grass. Its just off our dining room, it has a slideing glass door. So between that & pond, we plan on putting in a brick patio. :)

Yes, those are butterfly koi. Bectie is around 22" including her tail. She is a Kin Shiro Bekko. Candy & Sparkles are 12", both are Ginkinrin Yamabuki's, Matt is also under the Yamabuki category, but he is a mettalic lemon yellow Matsuba. Carmel is also a Yamabuki, but he's translucent carmel in color. Matt & Carmel are also 12" .

Rocky is one of Bectie's baby's, as is Wild One. Wild one is more of a pond mutt, there dad was a standard fin. Wild one sort of fell through the cracks with a standard color, he has four, so doesn't really fall into either Sanke or Showa. Rocky did though, he's a "ghost fish" Kin Kabuto. The funny thing is, Rocky has face markings that resemble a raccon's.

Chubby & Greedy came from the same breeder as the four yamabuki's. They where on sale but when I went to pay for the fish, the owner gave them to me! :D

Edited by Tamianth

Guest BellyJack
Cool Tank Squeeker!

Bellyjack:

No, its not wise to keep a female with a male unless your breeding, and its daddy that takes care of them. The female should be removed as soon as spawning is done and she goes to the other end of the tank. Once the egg's hatch even Daddy should be removed after awhile as even he could eat a few of them.

Also Betta's will jump for bugs, a nice juicy spider looking for water above the tank/bowl is all the enticement they need. They are related to mosquito fish and just love the fresh food. I very much encourage tanks or bowls with lids to prevent such accidents! Very sorry to hear yours jumped though!  :(

Hey thanks for the info! :D Thats what I thought though. Perhaps, I didn't kno wyou had to remove the male from the bowll though, I thought he was very caring and would never do that. Ah well, Ill go to bed smarter tonight hahahahha :nana

Also, I didnt know they jumped out, well, i should say i do now, since my female killed herself that way :crp

jeese.....im still mad at myself for leaving her without a top for her bowl.

Thanks again for the info! :hi

I went to the lfs last saturday to look at some snails and never even got to see one. :why: Instead I went home with this little cutie :D107-0784_AUT.jpg

107-0788_AUT.jpg

Is he a oranda?Sorry i got all excited I forgot to ask the store :(

Congratulations Cathy!! Your new fish is adorable :heart:heart He looks like an Oranda. He has the cutest little face :wub:

hes a panda oranda. really cute too. i have one and hes turning white which is a shame.

Cleaned out the other end of the tank today and got some more pics.

Here's the hygro

PlantHygro041219a.jpg

And a sword. not sure what kind.

PlantSword041219a.jpg

The big sword is an amazon sword. The little red one is a red melon sword.

PlantSwordARM041219c.jpg

Sunset hygro.

PlantSunsetHygro041219d.jpg

Betty, by looking at the last 2 pictures, I remembered something....

I have those black pond planters leftover, you know the ones out of plastic and with a lot of holes. It looks actually more like mesh, and I bought them at first for the water lilies, until I found out - surprise, surprise - the pots were waaaay to small! :rolleyes:

Those black planters, most of them around 4x6 or 6x6 inches, would probably do nicely as plant pots in a tank as well. Through the holes the roots can pick up some nutrients out of the tank.....