My (huge!) Black Moor

toothless

yes its a pleco... mmm sold him to me saying that he is a butterfly pleco (after getting rid of my huge common) and i really think they didnt know what they were talking about because i think he is a common too... but he is still small and friendly...

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok you guys have motivated me to go for TOTM... dont worry, i know i can't submit any of these pics since they are in a post... thanks everyone! :D:D:D:D

I know if I had your gorgeous fish babies I'd be grinnin all the time!

Careful what you wish for Sydney! I discovered Sox the other morning with a chunk missing from her beautiful wen. It was Frostbite!

All this damage to Sox. A wound on her tail, scales knocked loose, I always put down to her being boisterous and banging into the plant pots and filter outlet. But the chunk missing from her wen wasn't any sort of bang. So now I know it's been Frostbite all along!

So I've separated Frostbite into her own tank now. So it's not so much grinning as much as being uber-stressed having these fish! ;)

Thanks!!

Th biggest is my Tench at 9" the rest are all 2" to 6" at the moment, but according to my calculations i can double the amont (if i got all exactly the same again?!)

3500 gallons (min volume of pond, max is 4000 gal) - UK gals.

1" per 10 gal

i work out at there max/average size i have 173" of fish

:blink: my brain hurts! :lol:

Aw...I can't say how much I thank all of you for support. It's been a a while since her death, but the tank is just not the same without her...

Diva - I'm not possitive but when I purchased her the employee said it was just some filmy residue and that it will eventualy come off on it's own. That was a long time ago and it has never budged. So it lead me to believe it was an eye cataract, never bothered her though which is strange. You can't really treat cataracts though so there really was no choice in meds to give.

I'm not possitive but when I purchased her the employee said it was just some filmy residue and that it will eventualy come off on it's own.

It's Calcium Deposit pretty rare tho, i've seen it in pics on goldfishutopia.com, which was Valkyries99's calico dragon eye had a little white egg thing in it's eye and it went away after 5 days i so i think...

But they are HARMLESS...

True, and I wouldn't doubt that Paddles has been feeling a bit lonely... ;)

However, I've been a bit suspicious ever since I noticed that Mowgli has a bit of an 'outie' developing.. maybe it'll become more pronounced as she gets older?

Either way, I'm glad they seem to be getting along. No nipping, and it looks like Paddles does give Mowgli a break once in a while... :krazy:

Ooooooooooohhhhh! I've just lost Matchstick.. :(

Woke up this morning and she was floating dead. :( She was such a nice gentle fish too. It's terrible! She wasn't the most healthiest looking fish when i got her, but I honestly thought she was perking up and doing really well. And she was, except for the last couple of days when she suddenly went really quiet and off her food.

I had no idea what it could be, so I thought it best to just watch her and see if she got better or worse. But she went so quick, and now she's gone! :( I had a close look at her and there were four barely noticeable small lumps on her under her scales (two on each side) which says to me it was some sort of bacterial infection.

I've been playing around with switching my UV off during the daytime so it doesn't oxidise the plant fertiliser (iron), so maybe that helped it along. Maybe Frostbite nipped her too and it got infected? Maybe all these jar/pots I have in the tank are just breeding grounds for bugs and it's just the UV keeping them in check.

What a horrible week it's been. First Frostbite attacks Sox, so she's now moved out of the tank. And the very next day, Matchstick passes away. And to top it off, in another tank my beautiful Black Moor with the sbd has deteriorated as well and has gone onto his side now so it's suddenly not looking good now after 6 months of him slowly getting worse.

Very sad. :(

PS. Apart from an already-dropsied ranchu I bought back in December which only lasted a few days, Matchstick is the first fish I've lost since joining Koko's 6 months ago, which is a vast improvement from before joining when I knew nothing. Thank you Koko's.

I'm so sorry Awrieger. Matchstick was a beautiful fish. She was very lucky to have you as her keeper. Our thoughts are with you. :(

Thanks Captk.

That black moor is the same fellow you asked about a while ago, that I first posted about when I joined (actually the reason I joined) and put him through all those torture treatments.

He's lasted all this time just sitting on the bottom but now he's flopped onto his side, over the months slowly being less able to get up as time went by. His appetite is still healthy (if I hold him upright so he can eat) so he could last quite a while longer, but it's pretty clear his swimbladder/balance is completely shot now.

I don't know if I should just put him to sleep now. He's the reason I decided to learn how to keep fish properly, even though I couldn't fix him, so he's pretty symbolic to me. :(

I understand, AW. We feel for our pets and every ups and downs are personal. We can't help but feel helpless when they are not responsing to our ministration. Have you started a new thread on the moor or would you like to continue on this thread. Sounds a little out of whack if we discuss the moor here.

My ryukin Kin chan passed away this morning :cry1 He was recovering from a nasty mouth rot.I thought he was on the mend but apparently,I was wrong :( I've only had him for 10 months and was truly a wonderful fish.

108-0882_AUT.jpg

109-0954_AUT.jpg

108-0878_AUT.jpg

Rest in peace :rip:

Thank you Podgy...I am not sure how he got it but I found his mouth swollen a couple of weeks ago.It might be possible that he bumped it into something.Treated that and he was recovering when he suddenly died :(

Thanks Podge.

He was always slowly getting worse, so it was always eventually going to come to this point with him. It's just that even after six months of expecting it, I'm still not prepared for it!

Archived