Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

New Betta Female With Odd Stripe

My male Betta, Rajion, passed away a few days ago. He has not had a good year, I'm afraid, ever since we moved from Nevada to Utah. I only hope he is happy and comfortable now.

So, I decided to get a new Betta. I went to the LPS to choose one. At first, I only looked at males, since they are the ones with the long pretty fins. But then one female really caught my eye. She was a deep sapphire blue, with a blackish head. Just gorgeous! I mean, she really sparkled like a little jewel. And, since we name our Bettas after dragons, we appropriately named her Sapphira.

Then something odd happened. I brought her home and slowly introduced her to the tank. A little bit later I went to check on her, to see if she was doing okay, and I noticed that she suddenly had a distinct lateral stripe all down her sides. I KNOW it was not there before. As the hours have passed, I notice the stripe is becoming even more distinctive, and her body does not seem to have the deep shimmery blue that it had before.

Is this something I should worry about? Does anyone know what it means? My males never did this, but they did lose color previous to their deaths. I have not even had Sapphira for 24 hours and already I am worried about her! Girls are just trouble :blink:

My male Betta, Rajion, passed away a few days ago.

I'm sorry you lost your Rajion. It's great that you took the opportunity to care for another betta.

If I remember correctly, many female bettas have stripes like you describe :)

edit: just found this

A well conditioned breeding female will often display horizontal stripes.

Congrats, she's a healthy girl!

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

female bettas exhibit those stripes for a variety of reasons. such as being in breeding condition, or it can be a sign of submissiveness due to the othe fish in the tank. Are there other female bettas in the tank, if so you may have some fighting going on. Just give her time to adjust and make sure she is not getting picked on

Well, the stripes are gone, and she is back to her brilliant blue self! I did find out that females may display horizontal stripes when they are feeling stressed. I think that may have been the case. I just moved into a new house, and I have been under a lot of stress, so I can imagine she must feel much the same way.

Yes, females show stress stripes when conditions are not optimal. She was most probably stressed and adapting to her new environment. Both males and females will become pale when stressed or when ill. I am glad to hear that your new girl is doing well and has regained her coloring.

LOL. I had a blue female whom I named Sapphira, and she had the stress stripes too!

How's she doing now?