Eggs!

CountryLovah

I've posted enough bad news lately, how bout some better news?

ONE of my new babies sprayed a bunch of eggs the other day! I think i know who..

Tori (my calico telescope) was the laziest of all fish. And quite round. Hurley (red/white lionhead) went insane chasing Tori's butt one day. Like MAD chasing. Next day (last night) i turned on the lights and see little dots all over the bottom of the tank.. Most of them were on the one half of the tank, but some managed to scatter under the bubble bar on the other half too. They looked like tiny liittle bubbles, and I'm pretty sure they were eggs. (I found a few stuck together in clumps).Most were sticking to the bottom, and the fish were going around the bottom acting like there was a feast, even though they hadn't been technically fed for about 12 hours.. This morning before a water change I wiped down the bottom and vaccuumed anything that was left.

I really think it was Tori. She's relaxing a bit, but still swimming.

That's kind of cool right? Don't fish have to be in tip top shape for eggs?

H*%& NO! I didn't save any!!!! Someday, maybe, but right now? I don't have time for fry LOL

:rofl

You mean you don't want to set up a bunch more tanks and take care of some delicate fry? I mean, you have tons of spare time ;)

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

This morning what did I find??? MORE EGGS!!!

I came in and Shane followed and said "why are they all huddled in one corner pecking at the bottom? OH you must have fed them!"

And I said "no I didn't feed them"

Well, no, but they had quite the feast anyway.. more eggs!!

No one seems tired...At ALL....So there's no clear "mama" but i KNOW Hurley is chasing these girls...

Man if I had more space i would soooo keep some, but I just don;'t have time right now.. Lord knows what the fish would be. I"ve got a calico tele, red/white tele, crystal ranchu, red/white lionhead, black crowned pearlscale, and calico crowed pearlscale.. ALL NICE fish from Ken, so who KNOWS what the babies would be lol

More eggs? :rofl Busy little bees huh? They must be happy living with you..and one another... I love the thrill of seeing eggs for the first time but then the subsequent times it's like alright guys knock it off already!

H*%& NO! I didn't save any!!!! Someday, maybe, but right now? I don't have time for fry LOL

I was going to ask that question, but I'm glad I didn't! :rofl Sue, I feel the same way.

:D woo hoo on the becoming a potential goldie grandma!

my goldfish dropped eggs once... but i think my one male is *ahem* into the alternative lifestyle...

and i sooo wanted to be a goldie grandma!

:D maybe someday we'll see your goldfish grandkids!

Well of COURSE I am tempted....lol....

Both times I have found the eggs i am like "hmmmmmm"...But I just don't have anywhere to put them right now, and the biggest problem is, once they got bigger, i wouldn't wanna give any up. (unless it's to you guys of course). That reminds me...

The other day for some reason Shane & I were talking about what to do if the other died. I had a bad dream and that brough it up.. And I looked at him VERY seriously and said "WAIT?! If I died, what would you do with my goldies? What is your plan?!" and in my head I am thinking "there are only two acceptable answers here. Take care of them ALL the right way, or give them to koko's members" lol

And he said "don't worry I would make sure that your koko's friends took them in. Calm down, I would find a way to give SunshineGurl a tank and some of the fish, send some to Kathy..... etc".. LMAO

Good answer Shane!

:rofl I think stuff like that about my fish too. I'm always wondering..what if we have to move? or I get a job where I'm gone a lot???? Now you've given me something else to think about!!!!

As for the eggs.....you can't even keep just one teeny tiny egg?? ;)

Lynda and I had that whole conversation. So she is taking my fish and I am taking hers. Everyone should look for someone they can trust and count on. It sounds crazy, but it is really smart. Now I need to find the right person for our very scared kitty.

• 2 weeks later...

They won't stop!!!!!

I was just surprised with my fourth set of eggs!!! I've only had them about a month!!! LMAO

No one seems tired or worn out or anything... That's good huh?

I am scared to turn on the lights now cause it seems like there are always more eggs! Heeeeeeeeelp!! LOLOLOL

Every time so far I've done a big water change within a day or two and have not seen any ammonia or nitrite or even nitrate spikes. There are 6 fish, and they eat the eggs pretty quick....I've majorly cut down on their feedings... I always find the eggs when I come home from work.. And by then they are already mostly gone, just a few stick to the bottom of the glass that have been eaten but part stuck anyway.

These fish are CRRRRRAZZZZZZZZY!

They won't stop!!!!!

I was just surprised with my fourth set of eggs!!! I've only had them about a month!!! LMAO

No one seems tired or worn out or anything... That's good huh?

I am scared to turn on the lights now cause it seems like there are always more eggs! Heeeeeeeeelp!! LOLOLOL

Every time so far I've done a big water change within a day or two and have not seen any ammonia or nitrite or even nitrate spikes. There are 6 fish, and they eat the eggs pretty quick....I've majorly cut down on their feedings... I always find the eggs when I come home from work.. And by then they are already mostly gone, just a few stick to the bottom of the glass that have been eaten but part stuck anyway.

These fish are CRRRRRAZZZZZZZZY!

See, that's what you get for ribbing me about mine, rofl!

LOL None of these are lavendars so I doubt they were meant for Kathy : )

They really cleaned them up good this time! Usually there are those leftover pieces like I was saying... There is NOTHING left.... They aren't gonna need to be fed for a month after this LOL

Oh you think it's funny now Kath.. Just wait! Until I go crazy from all the baby fish and Shane has to lock me up in a mental home... Guess who gets the fishies!!!!????

They are ALL yours then! So you better have a word with my new babies, and tell them to lay off the egg laying LOL Unless you are prepared to inherit all my tanks/fish RiGHT NOW LOL

I actually think I know why they are doing this.

The heater in their tank was looking weird.. The coils were looking similar to those of a blow dryer which has been overworked and the coils get all red. SO I switched the heater to a new one. The new heater is reliable, but it's temp settings are off a bit... On the lowest setting, it maintains a temp of 74 -75. They had been used to my tank temps of 70-71. And its possible before they were with me, they had even lower temps.. I'm guessing they think it's SPRING!!! Hurley is relentless.. He is SUCH a butt chaser. But the good news is, he isn't too agressive, and he doesn't limit his chasing to just one fish. He chases them all, so it doesn't seem like he is just relentlessly pursuiubg one of them.. No one seems bothered by it, but me with the eggs!! LOL