Here We Go

Have you ever had a fish start to change color so fast it was almost shocking?

I fed the goldies when I got home and gasped at Edwin. The pictures really don't do it justice, but his gill covers and belly are turning color rapidly, they are almost a peach shade. It seems to have literally happened overnight. I'm guessing he'll turn orange, but white would be lovely.

And here are some snaps I just took

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

If this keeps up (which I'm sure it will) I'll keep updating this thread with new pics :)

Of course I'd rather he didn't change, but he's so cute I'm sure he'll look fine whatever color he turns out to be.

One of my commons, Ed, changed color, but not as quickly. He was about 50/50 orange and white. He started his color change about a year ago and took about 10 months to go all white. There is another user named Monkeybat, I think, that has a fantail named Mars that changed as fast as your oranda. She has not been on in quite a while though.

Chrissy, I like this thread because my 2 fantails keep changing color almost every week. It's spooky! Porky is cream colored with orange on dorsel fin, nose area, and some of the tail. She used to be almost all white; and then she was almost all orange. And now her orange is redder in some places, and yellower in others. The ends of her tails are getting orange now. She's like an octopus!

And Henry, who was yellow and black when I bought him turned orange. And now he's turning yellower.

So when does all the coloring change stop? I agree with you that this is so interesting. I'm going to research online. (I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to deal with this)

Thanks for the thread and the posts!

Actually I was thinking about getting a nice shaped black/blue just to watch his color change! It's so cool!

If I do it I think I will take a page from your book Chrissy and take pictures everyday. That way everyone can see how fast he changes.

Chichidongo, for my old fish the color change stopped when they'd turned completely orange.

Thanks, Chrissy. Actually I don't care what color they are; I just wish I could know I'm looking at the same fish every day. LOL

Wow look at him go!! He looks SO cute! And you've already been told this a million times, but seriously he DOES have the cutest little face, so any color will look good... (I agree though..white or silver would be sooooo awesome).

Edwin is so cute. Penny is so cute! All your babies are so cute!

Ok, he probably hasn't changed in the past few days, but I just took some pics so here's another one :P

You can see where the black is almost receding on his face in this one

IMG_3185.jpg

OOOOOooooOoOOoOoOoOoooooooo....

pretty :D

he almost looks like he's going through a 'panda' phase.

........................although i doubt that any colour changes could possibly take away from his utter cuteness :heart

Congrats. What a great lookin fish, no matter what color he is. :)

I wonder if there's something in your water or what you're feeding him to make him change so quick? Or just genetics?

I wondered the same but nothing has changed. The temp is stable and the diet is the same. I've had a heat wave seem to trigger change before, but I think this is just genes.

and yet again...here he is

IMG_3223.jpg

also, it occurred to me today that Edwin probably has NO clue that this is happening. He can't turn and look at himself like we do, and I highly doubt that if he sees his reflection he realizes that it's him. So unless the other fish are telling him "dude....you don't look right!" he has no idea :P

He has a very beautiful black tail! :heart

One day I want to have at least two Black Moors. I used to have one when I was little, but my sis took him away from me...she said I'd end up killing it. :o