Removing Medicated Media Sponges?

fortunefaded

Howdy

I treated my tank for fungus problems using protozin which did the trick but my 2 media sponges (fluval 3 filter) are coloured blue. I've been having bottom sitting and minimal appetite for sometime now and I'm wondering, is it possibly the foam as they are coloured blue from the medicine (protozin has a dye in it).

I'm wondering whats causing the problems coz i've done 100% w/c after the protozin treatment (had no carbon).

Should I buy new media and swap the gunk from the pads onto the new pads or should I buy carbon and place that in between the two foam pads to clear the existing pads of the dye?

I'm just looking for possible answers given my fish seem to be bottom sitting and not eating despite all other parameters been fine?

I would get a carbon pad and some new filter pads and just replace one and add the carbon for a week with 50% daily changes, add a double does of cycle or some other filter start bacteria solution every other day. Some one else may have some better info though, I have only been at this game for 3 month or so. :)

Yeah that is good advice carbon is a good start. Most meds are kind of bad for the little fishies so seeing them sick is kind of in cards if meds aren't removed. Always have the carbon the meds get into the filter and onto other things like substrate water changes aren't good enough. Another concern is unless you made sure to match water parms 100% water change is a lot for the little fellas could be a huge shock. Like taking a dude from L.A. and dropping him here in Calgary on a minus 40 degree day with 12 inches of snow, the dude is going to be pissy and depressed its not his normal environment, then he gets sick cause he's stressed. Same thing you stress the guys too much they going to get sick.

For 100% w/c i match parameters, its for small changes 10% in which i don't match temp, its out by 2 degrees but i always ph match.

Right, need to get carbon in there.

Any idea if the carbon will remove dye from the pads to save me throwing away the pads?