What Is A Cull?

HNLim

I have been throwing away and giving away hundreds and hundres of goldfish. Many many when they are fry stage, some when they are several months old and some about two years old. Most of the bigger fish are ready for competition.

Are all those fish that I throw and give away considered as cull?

I would consider a cull any fish that does not meet the characteristics of the fish that you are breeding. For example if you were breeding demekins, you would not keep any fish that did not show the extended eyes.

I've always considered a 'cull' to be the killing of excess/unfit animals. I just got this from good old Wikipedia

Culling is the 'selection' (removal and killing) of surplus animals from an animal population.

But by giving them away and removing them from your breeding population, you could say you're culling your stock I suppose :)

I have bought "feeder" fish occasionally from my local lfs. He says these are culled fish. He explained to me that fish breeders "cull" out the fish that they feel (for one reason or other) won't be as high quality as the fish that they want to sell. He said that many of these fish, if they are hardy enough to survive, grow into nice fish. Possibly not show quality if thats what you are looking for, but nice fish anyway.

I have bought feeder guppies but not had a lot of luck with them. I bought feeder rosies (rosy barbs) and they are great little fish and doing well. My 6 inch comet, Florence, was a tiny feeder goldfish when I got her 3 years ago. Best 25 cents I ever spent, LOL!

I would consider a cull any fish that does not meet the characteristics of the fish that you are breeding. For example if you were breeding demekins, you would not keep any fish that did not show the extended eyes.

Many of the bigger orandas that I gave away have actually been entered for competition (good enouch for competition). I gave them away because I have other batches of oranda fries that need the space. Are these competition grade orandas considered as culls?

I've always considered a 'cull' to be the killing of excess/unfit animals. I just got this from good old Wikipedia
Culling is the 'selection' (removal and killing) of surplus animals from an animal population.

But by giving them away and removing them from your breeding population, you could say you're culling your stock I suppose :)

I did not kill them. I gave them away. So are they considered as culls?

The Orandas that you gave away would not be considered culls. You just chose to give them away rather than sell them.

When you cull your goldfish you are killing the ones that are too weak and or too deformed to survive, swim normally, or grow up to be healthy.

Normal healthy goldfish are also culled (killed) if they don't meet the standard or color the breeder is trying to acheive.

Most goldfish you see in the pet stores are low quality fish. Their too good to cull but not good enough to keep for future breeding stock or sell at high prices. So the breeder would get rid of there unwanted fish by selling them to the pet store at a low price or for a store credit. But this would not be considered a cull. To cull is to kill.

Pet store gold fish could also be farm raised but that's a different subject.

I have always considered that "to cull" meant to simply remove something (in this case, a fish) from the population - from your population if you wish. A cull can be killed, or given away or even sold. Any way that it is done, it is "culled" from your population, from your breeding group, from your show group. You no longer have it, grow it, breed it, feed it or show it.

A "cull" can be anything -from a FANTASTIC show fish to a sad little bent spined fish that will never grow to adulthood. The showfish is "culled" from your population because it is NOT what you want, for one reason or another.

I have "culled" Phoenix because they are not the right color - but they are fine "Phoenix Eggfish". They are given away or sold to the pet shop.

I "cull" all the fish that lean towards "Veiltail" standards - and do not include them in my Broadtail Ryukin stock. The "good" ones of that group are often given to a "veiltail breeder", where they become breeders, showfish and all. They are desireable and kept for a Veiltail breeder. They are no longer "culls". The same breeders will then "cull" any fish that lean towards the "BT Rykin" side...

There are many fish that are sold or given away because they ARE exactly what you were trying to produce when bred. Technically, you could even say they were "culled" - for they have been removed from your population - because you have no need or want for them. They may be fine examples of what you are striving to produce, but you have too many or wish to share or .... whatever.

There are many fish that are "culled" - or killed, because they will NEVER be a healthy fish - or will never be a fish that is recognised as a specific breed. There is a VERY small market or place for such fish - but I personally do not want to promote sad, unhealthy fish that only give a bad name to the Fancy Goldfish. I cull/kill if the fish will never make a strong, healthy, big fish in adulthood.

But "to cull" simply means that you have removed the fish from your population - in any fashion that suits your needs. You can kill it, use it as a feeder (something I do not do), sell it, give it away. All are methods of culling.

To cull something means to kill something in an attempt to save the majority of the species you are killing. Deer are culled annually where I live, if not, they breed too much and there aint enough food for em all or they end up getting squashed on the road or kill tourists.

NB: They kill tourist coz tourist do silly things to prevent running down Bambi, i.e swerving, swerving into a telephone post, ditch and/or snow plough.

In your case, the fish you gave away to people are not culled, they are just sold on but fish you have thrown away (presumably you mean throw away aka kill em) are culled fish as you are removing imperfections/diseases/problems and in away preventing them spawning on those traits.

Edited by fortunefaded

I agree with Daryl's explanation. Culling occurs in any breeding operation. Dogs, cats, horses. Individuals that don't meet the breeder's standard for their program are removed from the program. They aren't necessarily killed.

That's how you can get purebred dogs and cats without papers, or with a contract that states they can't be bred, right?

With horses, a top breeder's cull can turn out to be an exceptional horse. But they keep only a very few of what they consider to be the top individuals bred each year. The rest are sold off. Sometimes, one of the ones they sell turns out better than what they keep!

Any time you breed anything, you're going to get individuals that don't quite cut it for your program, and those need to be culled.

In most cases I agree with dary because she knows her stuff. But this time I have to disagree.

Goldfish breeders breed fish to sell (some trade or give away). Since their purpose for breeding is to raise and sell their fish. Selling, trading or giving away is not culling. Sure your removing them from your population but they were bred for the purpose of selling, trading or giving away. So technically they can't be considered culled because they acheived the purpose that they were bred for and left your population to go where you planned for your good healthy fish to go.

The same goes for other animals. No breeder breeds their fish or animals with the idea of keeping them all. They raise and sell their good fish or animals. Their weak and deformed fish and animals get culled (killed) because most of the time they won't survive anyway. More goldfish are culled (killed) than any other fish or animal because so many deformaties are already bred into fancy goldfish. A lot more of them are weak and deformed and the standard that the breeders are looking for are not natural so a much larger number needs to be culled (killed).

Would selling off your unwanted fish as feeders be considered as cull even if the buyer subsequently keep the fish as pets?