Cleaning Glass/outside?

sheep

Is it safe to use Windex(probably not) on the outside of aquariums and the glass, or should I use something else?

My nephews have ever-so-kindly covered my new aquarium with greasy smudges..

Also, when my dad "cared" for a cichlid, he sprayed some sort of insect killer all around the aquarium bottom to try to get rid of roaches.

Was that even remotely safe?? D8 I MEAN SERIOUSLY.

I use windex on the outside of my tank. I make sure I spray it on the towel and then wipe the tank so airborne stuff can't get in the tank. I've never had any problems with it.

I use windex on the outside of my tank. I make sure I spray it on the towel and then wipe the tank so airborne stuff can't get in the tank. I've never had any problems with it.

Ok, thank you very much~ :heart

If you're worried, I think SC Johnson (same company that makes Windex) makes an all natural glass cleaner too. I've never used it or anything else on my tank but a wet papertowel, so I can't speak to that.

A bit of vinegar & water helps as well. :)

I was thinking to use that but I was unsure of it on glass. :D Thank you! *uses vinegar on EVERYTHING*

The petstore I used to work at used Windex and didn't care if it sprayed in the gerbils' eyeballs. It never seemed to affect them in the short-term, don't know about the long-term, I didn't stick around there to find out.

I also use Windex on a paper towel or vinegar and water. I never spray anything ON the tank, just on a towel.

And no, I don't think spraying insect killer is anywhere close to being remotely safe. :krazy: Heck, I had to tear the tanks down in the living room when I painted and close the fish in the bathroom in buckets where I was afraid of airborne fumes.

They make special "safe" aquarium glass cleaner, too. I really like it, because when I use my magnetic algae cleaner, it seems to "buff up" the outside and make it all shiny again. Seriously, one spray bottle of that stuff has lasted me forever.

Before that, I used to use vinegar and newspaper. Don't know why newspaper works so well, but it does. I wouldn't personally use windex around my tank, even the new kind. Even if it's supposedly "natural", there are just too many things that can harm fish, natural or not. I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that it wasn't safe for fish.

I guess I'm a bit paranoid! Probably comes from having salt water/reef stuff before.

Yay! Thanks again!

I think I've heard of using newspaper before.. we never have any around the house, though.

Mom said she wanted to buy a magnetic cleaner for me.. hm. :)