40 Gallon

seheap

I am super excited about it! Steve and I went to the fish store yesterday and we picked up a 40 breeder!! It's sitting in my living room right now, but as soon as I get back to school (tomorrow) I am setting it up! I will have my three guys in it, I really think they will love it!

I was going to wait to post until it was set up (when I had pictures) but I was too excited to keep it in!

Stay tuned for pictures!

Here's one to stave off too many koko stick beating!

Nevermind, photobucket isn't working... :(

Edited by ryukin girl

AHH! Ok Ok! I will assuage my guilt with a few pictures of what is going in it! Here is the forty right now:

hpim0575.jpg

I bought a coralife light fixture to go on it. I'm not planning on having plants, but who knows! I am going to tape some of the black aquarium background cellophane to the bottom to keep the glare to a minimum. I really like the barebottom look, but am worried about stressing the fish if the light is streaming from above *and* below! Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

O yeah, and I decided yesterday night to do the whole moonlight thing! I'm really excited! I bought the LEDs on Ebay and they should be arriving at my dorm this week! YAY

ad8c_1_sbol.jpg

Yeah, actually I have the same problem. I want to make it a 360 tank on a coffee table in the middle of my dorm room. So I have to slit the carpet (it's mine, don't worry) and run an extension from the wall to the table, attach the timer strip (five timed, five on all the time) and figure out if I have enough. Lets see

On all the time:-------------------------Timed:

Two filters--------------------------------Light

Air pump----------------------------------Moonlight (maybe, depending on how my time strip works. They may have to be on all day)

Heater

(Moonlight)

I think I should have enough. Hopefully. Thankfully the two strips of LEDs are on one plug. I think I will just gorilla glue them to the side of the light fixture and have done with it.

Also I was thinking of making a ten gallon sump filter but then I would have to buy pumps and tubing and all sorts of crazy things. It would be really cool though. O well, maybe next semester.

I think I am looking foward to going back to school more for the potential of setting up my fish tank than anything else. O how crazy life is.......

Don't worry about the structural integrity of the coffee table, Steve is a carpenter and is planning on reinforcing it. I am getting it from my sister (who conveniently lives an hour away from my school) next weekend. Steve is coming for a visit (really he wants to go the LFS by my school because it's better than any around Chicago) and he is going to look at it then. Until next weekend the tank will be on the floor. I am going to put a swath of fabric on the coffee table so it is covered and them put all my buckets and junk underneath. I think it'll work.

Edited by ryukin girl

Yep, I'm on the bottom floor. (It's only 350 lbs not 3500 lbs. Plus the weight of the tank and fish and whatnot. Still, not 3500!! :) ) There are no restrictions on tank size and placement. I know a lot of Universities don't allow anything over 10 gallons, but MSU is ok with it. I was talking to Angela on Facebook and apparently her school doesn't allow anything over 10 gallons, no filters, no lights. I mean really!

A breeder is a tank shape. There is a 40 high, 40 long, and 40 breeder (they are more expensive H<L<B)

The specs are: High (36x12x18.5) Long (48x12x16) Breeder (36x18x16) It just depends on what sort of display you want. Because I want a 360* view I wanted something that had a more square footprint. If you wanted to place it along the wall, maybe a long would be good and if you wanted a corner tank a high.

Alrighty!

I figured it was about time I got pictures of the tank up!

So funny story. I was using my 5 gallon buckets to fill the tank. I marked each gallon with a sharpie on the inside (covered in tape) using a quart measuring cup. I wanted to know exactly how many gallons the tank holds. Steve did some calculations and he told me 45. So, I was filling away.....the tank holds 50 GALLONS!!!

I am so amazed! And excited because this means I might be able to get another fish! The plan was to have my three in the 40 so that I have an extra ten gallons to give me time should anything go wrong. But now I can have four and still have that extra space!

Now I just have to convince Steve that it's ok...

...and Daryl to let me ravage her fry again. O Daryl!!! :whistling

Ok, here are some pictures! The moonlights aren't here yet, but I will take pictures as soon as I get them up and running. And figure out where to plug them because I was wrong, I only have four outlets which means that with the extra filter I don't have enough. Maybe I will just break down and get an Aquaclear 110.

hpim0580.jpg

hpim0581.jpg

hpim0582.jpg

hpim0583.jpg

That tank looks great!!!! Of ALL the tanks I have, the 40 breeder is my very favorite - it is perfect size for loads of growing fry, a pair or trio of breeding adults, or simply a set of very large fish. It is a fantastic tank - I am glad you have it!!!! I have 2 and wish I had room for more.

Youare welcome to more fish if you wish. I have to get them out in the mail to people -but between my fall and the hospital and the snow storms and ice storms and unscheduled trips to China, I have not done so, yet.

:)

ryukin, ty for the info. I learn so much on this forum!

I especially like the last photo, with the shot of your shoes. lol you have small feet!

(and don't forget to do homework, mother chichi says)

Aww! Thanks everybody!

It's funny you think I have small feet! They're a size 8....And, don't worry Chichi! I will do homework. As soon as I'm done browsing the forum.....

And Chloe....I haven't heard from you in forever! I hope everything is doing ok!

What a coincidence - I also got a 40 breeder waiting to be set up and I am hoping to get a couple of fry from daryl. I really like the footprint of the 40G breeder and if I have room I would get another one for a planted tank (should get great perspective).