An Update On My Bottom-sitting Duo

thekatiedid

It's been about 30 hours since they've been in a tank with completely new water and filter devoid of anything but biological-enducing media. The airstone has been in for almost 24 hours.

pH: 7.0-7.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Much more animated when tank light is on, definitely seem a bit more at ease and less stressed than they did the other day. Less stationary bottom sitting, but still unbelievably wobbly.

So far that's where I've come from the problem's start: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=74907

Thanks for all your help! Will post back soon.

In the mean time, let me know if there is anything else I should be doing!

Glad to hear they're more at ease. I think the key is trying to keep that stability -- esp in an uncycled situation. Watch to make sure your PH doesn't start slipping. Daily (or twice daily) testing and water changes as needed will be very important. You may want to consider salt, but while cycling it can be tricky because you have to keep a tally of how much salt is in the water at all times.

Hope they keep improving! Fins crossed...

Glad to hear they're more at ease. I think the key is trying to keep that stability -- esp in an uncycled situation. Watch to make sure your PH doesn't start slipping. Daily (or twice daily) testing and water changes as needed will be very important. You may want to consider salt, but while cycling it can be tricky because you have to keep a tally of how much salt is in the water at all times.

Hope they keep improving! Fins crossed...

Ah I forgot! I added a half dose of salt yesterday to the new water. Will keep adding half dose for another few days maybe with each change? When should I switch to full?

By half a dose, do you mean 1/2 tsp per gallon?

To get salt to a 'tonic' level, I think you need to be at 1tsp per gallon. To be medicinal, it has to be at 3tsp per gallon. There's a link in my signature to Trinket's super-useful salting thread!

Edited by uberleslie

By half a dose, do you mean 1/2 tsp per gallon?

To get salt to a 'tonic' level, I think you need to be at 1tsp per gallon. To be medicinal, it has to be at 3tsp per gallon. There's a link in my signature to Trinket's super-useful salting thread!

I followed the guy at the pet store's advice and did half of what the dosage on the side of the carton calls for (which is a tablespoon for every 5 gallons) or something like that. All in all I added around 3 or 4 tablespoons instead of 7.