100% Water Change

jody

Fishguy is assuming that you are running a nitrogen cycle to control the water parameters - and then being forced to change the water to rid it of the nitrates (mainly). 100% water changes can be very useful - and a standard way of doing things when the water is NOT being maintained with a nitrogen cycle.

It is true, when using a nitrogen cycle to maintain water quality you will need to do periodic water changes to reduce the concentration of nitrate (and some other things) that result from the beneficial bacteria processing nitrogen (ammonia, nitrite). As your stocking increases, you will get more waste - and need to change more to reduce or remove the nitrates from the water. If you have a tank stocked so heavily (or FED so heavily- regardless of stocking) that the nitrate values are so high you are forced to either change LARGE volumes or do it more often, then you have a tank that requires intensive care. It is difficult to keep such a tank healthy - simply because it DOES require so much care. It is not impossible, though.

Most people do not have the time, energy or desire to maintain such a tank. It is necessary to change at least one parameter - that is usually reducing the waste makers in a volume of water. Larger water volume, greater volume at changes or more frequent changes can all solve the problem, too, but require time, dedication and WORK. They are not impossible - just........ slightly dangerous - for you cannot fail, cannot take a day off.

In CWE, there is no need for a nitrogen cycle. The ammonia is simply diluted and removed. In Zeolite filtered water, once again, all that is needed is a regular water change to remove growth hormones and such - the ammonia is bound and removed. In green water, the ammonia is processed by the algae - you only need to maintain the proper population of green algae (accomplished by water changes). All can be balanced to stocking and water volume - using frequency and volume of changes.

It is a balance. It has been found that the AVERAGE fishkeeper does not want to change more than 25-30% of the water, once a week. To do this, the average stocking is one fancy goldfish per 10 gallons, in tanks larger than 20 gallons. This is only the AvERAGE - not a clad in iron rule.

what is a CWE and how do you set that up?

what is zeolite and how do you set that up?

THANKS! :)

Good questions!! :)

Pretty advanced. I am not sure your experience RedTiger as I don't read every post. If you are just getting started I wouldn't worry about that yet. Maybe daryl will grace us with her knowledge again. But in the meantime I suggest you search that in our search engine. I havent done that so maybe you will come up with nothing but maybe someone could shed some light on what CWE stands for? That might help you in your search. :idont My guess is Closed Water Environment.

Hope this helps :)

CWE means constant water exchange. It involves pumps, reservoirs and all sorts of things. I only know of one member who uses it, and you quoted her! She will be able to explain it better.

Zeolite is a resin that absorbs ammonia. It is run in the filter box just like any other media. It needs to be changed or recharged periodically otherwise it will leach ammonia back into the tank.

It is by far easier to use the nitrogen cycle, IMO. And it seems like it would be cheaper too.

Good questions!! :)

Pretty advanced. I am not sure your experience RedTiger as I don't read every post. If you are just getting started I wouldn't worry about that yet. Maybe daryl will grace us with her knowledge again. But in the meantime I suggest you search that in our search engine. I havent done that so maybe you will come up with nothing but maybe someone could shed some light on what CWE stands for? That might help you in your search. :idont My guess is Closed Water Environment.

Hope this helps :)

hi! thanks. my experience is novice who is lazy and would prefer not to spend so much time tending to the water but does bc its necessary SO if there's a way around it, i'll take it! :exactly:rofl

i'll search for those terms ASAP! :)

CWE means constant water exchange. It involves pumps, reservoirs and all sorts of things. I only know of one member who uses it, and you quoted her! She will be able to explain it better.

Zeolite is a resin that absorbs ammonia. It is run in the filter box just like any other media. It needs to be changed or recharged periodically otherwise it will leach ammonia back into the tank.

It is by far easier to use the nitrogen cycle, IMO. And it seems like it would be cheaper too.

i have some nitrazorb, is that zeolite?

CWE sounds expensive. bummer.

soooooooo with the nitrogen cycle, at what point does one get to stop taking daily stats then? :)

nitrazorb functions like zeolite, but I don't know if it is the same thing. One drawback to nitrogen-absorbing products is that they release the ions back into the water when exposed to salt, so salt treatments interfere with their function. Also, if the zeolite should ever become full and go unnoticed, there will suddenly be toxic ammonia, not nitrate, building up in the water. The water should be tested regularly.

With the nitrogen cycle, you may stop taking daily stats (but still test them regularly) once you no longer have ammonia or nitrite present, and the nitrates are climbing instead.

The denitrator filter is an alternative nitrogen-removing system. These biological filters use anaerobic conditions to break down nitrate into nitrogen, which is released as gas into the atmosphere. Depending on the setup used, they may impact the tank's pH or other stats.