Fin Rot New Tank Help :(

Guest lauren202004

Guest lauren202004

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

]Nitrite Level? 0

]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature? 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 g 3 weeks

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? whisper for a 55 gallon tank

I have had the tank awhile but just now started puting goldfish into it. one of the fish look very healthy the other one does not but she hasnt looked good from the first day i put her in thier i noticed

blacks spots on her the second day she was in my tank but now they are clearing up and also her tail looks like it has fin rot but i am not really sure. her tail has brown edges and is frayed a little i really need some being that i am a newbie

when it comes to goldfish oh and my water is a little cloudy and has a hint of green.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every two weeks 20%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 and about 4 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? tetra

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? goldfish flakes every other day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? i just got the ones i have from wal mart big mistake

[*]Any medications added to the tank? yes fungus free by jungle

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? frayed fins with bron on ends

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? bottom sitting

Hello..I am sorry your post went without being noticed.. :)

I am sorry you have been facing problems with your new tank...

Two things here..Your tank is new...and therefore the cycle is not established..You need to do frequent water changes...Say 60-80% every day...Because goldfish produce a lot of waste and therefore the ammonia levels in a new tank go up like crazy...You need the good bacteria, that multiply during the process of Cycle to be able to keep the ammonia, nitrites to 0...and that takes place over a period of 5-8 weeks..therefore frequent and larger water changes are necessary...20% in two weeks is very low..Even when the cycle is back to normal and completely established...you should change more than 60% of the tank water at least once a week..

The other thing is Whisper 55 filter does not provide more than 300gph filtration...goldfish need lots of filtration..Ideal way is to multiply the capacity of your tank by 10...so in ur case for 55 gallons you need 550gph...Please add another filter to your tank...that way your cycle will have lots of platform to establish upon and the water quality will be maintained...

Also of possible please use Prime for your conditioner...It is a gr8 product and mostly eeveryone around here uses it...

Hello..I am sorry your post went without being noticed.. :)

I am sorry you have been facing problems with your new tank...

Two things here..Your tank is new...and therefore the cycle is not established..You need to do frequent water changes...Say 60-80% every day...Because goldfish produce a lot of waste and therefore the ammonia levels in a new tank go up like crazy...You need the good bacteria, that multiply during the process of Cycle to be able to keep the ammonia, nitrites to 0...and that takes place over a period of 5-8 weeks..therefore frequent and larger water changes are necessary...20% in two weeks is very low..Even when the cycle is back to normal and completely established...you should change more than 60% of the tank water at least once a week..

The other thing is Whisper 55 filter does not provide more than 300gph filtration...goldfish need lots of filtration..Ideal way is to multiply the capacity of your tank by 10...so in ur case for 55 gallons you need 550gph...Please add another filter to your tank...that way your cycle will have lots of platform to establish upon and the water quality will be maintained...

Also of possible please use Prime for your conditioner...It is a gr8 product and mostly eeveryone around here uses it...

I agree 100%. Larger water changes, and lots of filtration!!