68gal Tank Setup And Cycle Daily Update

c_cube

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes please do 50% water changes daily..and if you think 70% is better...go for it..It wont stress the fish...but make sure the water is pH and temperature matched..they ll be fine..they would love the fresh water rather than being in bad water.. :)

How exiting FRY???..wow...how cuteee..Congrats C Cube.. :D

Oh one thnig...are the other tropical fish with Popo and Pipi???...MAybe they are not doing sooo well and spreading some kind of disease...just a thought... :) ..I maybe wrong.. :)

Them I will do daily 70%.. popo and pipi always bottom sitting right after I change water.. but for a while... Maybe they are stress..

Thanks for your wishes on the FRY.. How existing, I also dunno.. Out of sudden only 2 appeared.. I was siphoning water last nite and saw 2 black thing swim around, then I realise it was fry.. Shock!!! My hubby tot that it was mosquitor (am I spelling it right? the animal that suck our blood).. Then we quickly took them out and place in a plastic container.. Now they are in the bowl... Kinda surprise and its unbelievable.. I supposed the rest of the 2 fry's brothers and sisters has been eaten by popo and pipi.. :rofl

No.no.. the tropical fish are now at 6gal tank that previously popo and pipi stay at.. I never mix them.. Probably the fry are from the tropical fish.. I supposed they laid eggs before I switch them.. I think it is miracle that the 2 is still surviving after so many days and I did 70% water change before.. MICRACLE fry.. Thumbup for them.. I hope they will survive. .cos I am not sure if they are neon tetra or blue eye tetra or rasbora.. :D

Thanks, Martha..

I found another 3 (1 yesterday, 2 today).. So, they are 5 now.. :)

Back to Popo and Pipi tank..

10/1 - NH4 = 0.1, NO2 = 0.05 (b4 70% water change)

10/1 - NH4 = 0 - 0.1, NO2 = 0.025 (after 70% water change)

11/1 - NH4 = 0.1, NO2 = 0.05 (today is house spring cleaning day for preparation of Chinese New Year which is around the corner, so I am very tired, thus I didnt manage to do the water change as the house is very messy..)

Popo always tilt 45deg (head at bottom, tail on top) and floating on water... What is that mean? New decease? :(

The poop is white.. I am not sure it belongs to whose poop.. Its thin white, sometime with bubble, sometime is springy white.. definately not healthy poop... Is is becos they eaten the fry, I guess..

This morning I woke up, I saw alot of poops.. 2 type..

1st one are light brown colour, look heavy and sink, short and solid..

2nd one are long and shot white (transparent) with a little dark brown, some are spiral, some have bubble..

Popo still 45deg tilt (head down)..and I saw him pooping, the colour is as same as 1st one.. So, I believe popo pooping 1st one poop, pipi pooping 2nd one poop.. :blink: Sorry for my bad english.. :D

but, when I walk near them, they all swim very fast foward, guess they are begging for food.. I didnt feed them cos I see alot of poops, guess its enough to feed the BB..

Hmmm. The white poop is not from eating fries hun. The fry are fish and will have possibly made the tank smell fishy...there may have been many more. When you set up did you transfer any media or ornaments from your trop tank?

Oh and Im anxious about the fry. Do you have a breeder box you can attach into the top of your trop tank so the babies have the best chance of survival?

So this the normal poop right?? :)

2nd one are long and shot white (transparent) with a little dark brown, some are spiral, some have bubble..

Something like zigzag poop...white and thread like with bubbles???..then this is the poop when a fish tries to reabsorb their eggs...

Popo still 45deg tilt (head down)..and I saw him pooping, the colour is as same as 1st one.. So, I believe popo pooping 1st one poop, pipi pooping 2nd one poop.. :blink:

Pipi cud be a girl then...the eggs are coming from Pipi.. :) ...but you cannot be sure...cos the one reabsorbing eggs can sometimes poop normally as well.. :) ...but you could be quite sure and right in believing Popo is a boy and Pipi is a girl.. :D

Oops just posted above youImo.. :) ..Imo is here..and can help you better with the fry.. :) ..

Sorry for my bad english.. :D

but, when I walk near them, they all swim very fast foward, guess they are begging for food.. I didnt feed them cos I see alot of poops, guess its enough to feed the BB..

No problem..your english isnt bad at all.. :) ...

How is the fry...the bowl is not the right place for them...maybe you could get a small 10 gal tank for them...if you wish for them to grow up...and you need to feed the fry good food...and lots of it LOL...they eat a lot and grow fast...once they are big enuf...you can move 2-3 in with Popo and Pipi..and rest maybe give them away.. :)

Edited by SunshineGurl

breeder box? I don know wat is that.. Currently the 5 of them are in the bowl.. Plant bowl, nothing is there.. I throw some food flakes for them, but not sure they will eat it.. I also put 1 stick of plant, hopefully they will eat it.. if not, they will be dying from hunger.. I saw left over flakes with some white thing ( i guess it some kind of fungus), I will remove them tonite..

OK.. Maybe I need to explain on how this 68gal tank is setup.

Popo and pipi initially sitting in 6gal tank, they are sick..

When I first set up the 68gal tank, I put my tropical fishes (8x) into the tank to help cycle..

Then, i was advised by some of you to transfer popo and pipi into 68gal tank so that they will be recovering slowly, without med as they need healthy water.. So, I switch them - took out the tropical fish and put them into 6gal tank.. I took 2 of the glass with plant and place at the 6gal tank for tropical fish. Only left 1 glass with plant on 68gal tank. Then put popo and pipi into 68gal tank.

I hope i answer your question, Trinket..

OK so the eggs were probably in the plant you left in the 68.

The fish overfed on fry and thats not good, can make them wobbly and offbalance being bloated.

Now, I am very worried about those fry. Fungus kills. So does a bowl. They must also be very cold! If you want them to survive you need to rig up a collander type seive basket on the edge of your heated trop tank. I will find a pic link to explain what I mean.

here's are some pics of different kinds of breeder boxes:

img3041048.jpg

img3038988med.jpg

I don't mean to step on Trinket's toes here since she is looking for a picture as well, for a "collander type seive basket". I'm sure she has some ideas on the right food to feed the fry as well. ;)

If popo and pipi is overfed, I will not feed them.. Anyhow I will continue test water and do 50%-70% WC daily..

Weird is only popo tilt 45deg.. Pipi still bottom sitting..

Trinket, thanks for being with me.. I don have any equipment for the fry.. only a glass bowl I have at this meantime..

Oh, Martha, I just saw ur post.. Thanks.. But I still have no idea what is that? how it setup? I m not sure if my lfs have this..

Guess, today I learn new thing again... thanks..

So this the normal poop right?? :)

Something like zigzag poop...white and thread like with bubbles???..then this is the poop when a fish tries to reabsorb their eggs...

Popo still 45deg tilt (head down)..and I saw him pooping, the colour is as same as 1st one.. So, I believe popo pooping 1st one poop, pipi pooping 2nd one poop.. :blink:

Pipi cud be a girl then...the eggs are coming from Pipi.. :) ...but you cannot be sure...cos the one reabsorbing eggs can sometimes poop normally as well.. :) ...but you could be quite sure and right in believing Popo is a boy and Pipi is a girl.. :D

Oops just posted above youImo.. :) ..Imo is here..and can help you better with the fry.. :) ..

Sorry for my bad english.. :D

No problem..your english isnt bad at all.. :) ...

How is the fry...the bowl is not the right place for them...maybe you could get a small 10 gal tank for them...if you wish for them to grow up...and you need to feed the fry good food...and lots of it LOL...they eat a lot and grow fast...once they are big enuf...you can move 2-3 in with Popo and Pipi..and rest maybe give them away.. :)

:krazy: U mean the fry is might be from pipi? they are very small, i think 2 years old.. I tot the fry are from tropical fish? Oh my gosh...

the breeder box hangs over the side of the tank. it's mostly made of plastic, and is covered by some sort of fabric cloth to keep the fry from leaving and any fish from entering. I have one, it was $4, I think... I got it for my plants so the turtle wouldn't eat them, but now I use it for other stuff.

The really fun thing is...finding out as they grow what kind of fry these are. Another reason they must have a chance at survival. Goldie fry should have warm water too, I still say put them very very gently in a breeder box in the cycled trop tank now. Soon! Fry cannot live in bowls!!! Fry cannot live in uncycled water. Fry are soooo fragile you must be very gentle, no swirling the water..

Thankyou SO much Martha- saved me some time. Thats what you want C-Cube- a kind of hang on box like that. Instructions on box how to use (in Malay no less!)

oh my gosh.. I keep them in bowl for few days... :krazy: Tonite, I will find something similar with the box or maybe DIY something? hmm... and transfer them back to the 68gal tank. I don have time to go downtown to search and buy the breeder box...

but if i cant find any or DIY, can I just transfer them into a clean square plastic container and keep water change (use the cycled water from the 68gal tank) for temporary until I find the breeder box?..

Can i use the new coffee net? :unsure:

Is it made of nylon? Not paper right? If so.. yes thats fine if its new and nylon its fine. For a few weeks. You must understand they are very very much more fragile than big fish. You must change them gently- no pouring!! Get some help. You need to attach the net so it cannot slip. It needs to be low enough to get max water but of course some gap so they dont swim out into the main tank (and get eaten) You can use regular clear tape (sellotape) to attach or string or elastic bands or a combination of all. Whatever holds strongest...

OR

can you make tiny holes in a plastic container and use that?? You cannot do water changes for fry- they will die, They are too delicate for water changes until they are 3 weeks/one month.

So many things it could be. Full of more eggs? (If they were goldie eggs)..............

For the moment try feeding green peas, softly boiled and skinned- not tin peas but frozen okay...no peas? Try softly boiled brocolli or another vegetable.

It clears their system.

Oh. I fed them brocolli yesterday nite... They loves it.. and after around 2 hours, they pooping green colour poop, some with a little transparent layer in between (not a nice solid poop), some are spriral solid green with a little bubble..

This morning, I saw the poop are still green, more solid than last nite. Popo didnt seems tilting 45deg when I saw him, I am not sure, cos I was rushing to work this morning, didnt have much time to watch them.

Yesterday reading on NH4 = 0.1, NO2 = 0.05, after water change (50%) NH4 = 0 - 0.1, NO2 = 0.025

About the 5 babies, they are still surviving, I couldnt find anything from house to DIY the net, the coffee net is out of stock.. Unlucky day.. Then I just clean the glass bowl and fill the water from the 68gal tank. They are still surviving this morning.. All is moving.. Now, I am wondering what should I feed them?..

Vegetables for Popo and Pipi is a good idea...keep changing the water though...

I dont have experience with fry...but they need bigger space and food...Umm..I know egg yolk of a boiled egg works...but other than that..not much help here...hope you can find them a bigger tank/tub..