Sick Fish

ejk722

His water levels should be fine. I'm not sure though, I don't have a test kit. The tank has been cycled and I've never had problems till this morning (I've had him for three months now). Weekly water changes (Amquel and Novaqua for tap water). Feed twice a day. All of a sudden he's just slow and lazy and staying close to the ground in one corner. He looks a little paler. There was this white dot on his wen, I didn't think it was anything, but could it be ick? What should I do? Also I see that his poop is long and stringy. Constipated? I'm thinking it's more constipation than anything else. How sick is he? He's a lot lazier. Should I do a water change? I'm not gonna feed him for a while. Man, he was so healthy just yesterday....

Edited by ejk722

Hm, just changed the water and turned off the heater and he's doin great. I think it was just the temperature. His water was a lot warmer than it usually is. His weird white shade disappeared and he looks back to normal now, moving around and happy again. Whew

If you could answer as many of the questions in the box above it would be really helpful. What exactly was the temp? Goldies don't like it much above around 72. Whether or not weekly water changes are enough depends on the size of your tank, how many goldfish are in there, your filtration, etc.

And it really is a good investment to have a good water tester, the drops not the strips. If you take care of the water it will take care of your fish. ;)

ejk, I'm new too. Koko's has given me excellent advice, especially the test kit. When dx'ing a fish, it's the first thing the forum wants to know, because it's the most important.

A test kit gives helps me maintain their environment, so they don't get sick (as much as possible).

I'm glad your fish are okay! Good luck.