Epsom Salt

terisather

Hello!

Just wondering, when it comes to epsom salt is there anything a newbie should know before administering? I used it to help a pearly with what I thought was constipation. Actually, both of my goldies get real floaty after a meal so I felt it would help them both.

Long story short, the pearly died and my oranda suffered serious fin rot before finally dying. I only dosed 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gallons, yes my water is hard and naturally high in nitrAte.

Because of my water issues, I won't be getting goldies again until I find myself a home with softer more stable water. I hope to be moving in the next few months.

Anyways, any FYI about epsom salts that anyone can give would be appreciated.

• Admin

First thing never go over the 1/8 teaspoon per 5 gals of water...Always do a 50% water change before you add more in the tank...Normally when Im dealing with Dropsy or Popeye I will add it in with the meds Im using then when I need to do my weekly water change I will add more back in.....

Make sure to keep an air stone running to in the tank...just a small one to keep the water aerated :)