New Tank And Fish!

jennybugs

I can now announce that I am 'with fish'! :krazy:

My tank is up and running so I thought I'd do you a little ongoing diary until I have enough posts to get my blog going :D

Best start off with the tank I guess...some of the uk members may know it already - it used to belong to 'hpsauce', and in fact it's all Helen's fault I now have fancy goldies in the first place! :lol:

180L of loveliness in the form of an Akva Stabil tank which arrived via the best couriers in the UK looking like this...

29254c56.jpg

I'll need Go-Go-Gadget arms!

bf9cfcb9.jpg

Then it was planted up and sparsely decorated with bogwood, anubias and java fern

5ffe7787.jpg

5ea74c77.jpg

fd43a495.jpg

73b40a0f.jpg

Fast cycled with mature internal filters (the beauty of having as many tanks as I do is you always have space for backup filters) and gravel from other tanks and topped up with Tetra SafeStart. I am going to get an external filter in the very near future when I can decide which one to go for (indecision is my middle name)!

Today I went to my LFS and came home with 3 young little beauties.

Let me introduce you to "Curly"

8113e018.jpg

94edd6e9.jpg

dfb428d3.jpg

"Roger" (get it?)

6ac58e7f.jpg

and an as yet unamed shy and retiring redcap

0e75b1b0.jpg

They've settled in really well aleady although the redcap is shy and tending to try and hide when I watch her. She's following curly about and has already chowed down on some nice veggie tabs and I am sure a name will arrive soon.

Sizes...Curly is approx 2 inches across the body, Roger is 1 inch and the redcap is a little under 1.5 inches :D

Edited by jennybugs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a million moss balls so they can chow down on them as much as they like! :lol:

The redcap is now called Boo! as she shoots off when you look at her :D

Your tank looks terrific! You did a great job with the decor. I love the bog wood in there. Just know that it can discolor the water for a time. Carbon works well for the yellow water. The live plants will help seed your with the tank with good bacteria. Your fish are too cute!

I have a question to anyone that knows. The little chocolate oranda in the first fishy pic, what color will it end up as an adult?

Edited by NightAngel

Gold. But he may not change for quite a while. Mine's in the process of changing gold right now and he's about 5 inches. Don't worry Jennybugs, the gold is a pretty color. ;)

Gold. But he may not change for quite a while. Mine's in the process of changing gold right now and he's about 5 inches. Don't worry Jennybugs, the gold is a pretty color. ;)

Helen mentioned this to me yesterday! It's a shame as I love Curly's gorgeous colouring at the moment - it's what made me choose her - but I really don't mind as orange is my favourite colour :D

:Congrats:

Looking great Jenny, don't make it look to great or I might have to come steal it back :ignore

:krazy::aint::happydance

The wood I have in the tank at the moment is well seasoned from another setup, but I will be getting another bit for the other side when I spot the right one. I am thinking of planting both bits up properly with lots of different types of anubias. The elodea is there purely for the guys to munch on and I'm hoping it will root.

I'm also planning on getting one of those flexible bubble wall hoses to have right along the back wall of the tank. Would that be too much aeration? Can you possibly have such a thing in a goldie tank? Would I be better off sticking to a nice big round airstone hidden behind the wodd in a corner?

Pleased to report that when I was peeking round the room door, Boo! was swimming about happily. I think it's just us looking at her that she has yet to get used to :D

Funny you should mention step ladders! I lost count of how many times I climbed up and down the thing while filling and decorating the tank :lol:

I really need to get lots of things for reaching the bottom - long tongs and suchlike and a good platform to work on when cleaning the tank out. Failing that, put it on a shorter stand, but there's no way I'm emptying it all out to do that now :aint:

It's actually nice to be able to stand infront of the tank and not crouch at all to look at the fish :D

They all look lovely and settled Jenny :Congrats: looks like they are going to hang around together like my lot.

I have one of these with the tongs bit that I find great for reburying the plants that Dylan is always digging up without having to get my whole arm wet, plus you can trim plants with the scissor bit (also handy for retrieving centre of the wbloodworm feeder from the bottom of the tank when they have knocked it out :rolleyes: )

tongs.jpg

Edited by hpsauce

I have yet to master a water change routine, but a syphon, an open window and lots of rubber pipe are the order of the day at present :lol:

I'm glad to report I have mastered water changes...I have a decorator's platform that is just perfect! I can fit me, a bucket and some tools on there all at the same time and still have room to dance about :lol:

I've fitted the bubbler to the back wall now. Excuse the cloudiness...post maintenance but alt least you can see fish :D

69a08c85.jpg

The bubble wall has stopped Boo from hiding round the back now too. She tried and it seemed to surprise her when she swam through the bubbles :wub:

Edited by jennybugs

I'm sad to announce that little Boo died last night :cry1

She'd had her dorsal clamped down all evening and just sat on the bottom doing very little. She wasn't gasping or anything and was always the most retiring of the trio, although she had a hearty appetite. Speaking to the shop owner today, he said he'd lost a fair few of this same batch so maybe they weren't that healthy in the first place. Curly and Roger are full of life and seemingly unaffected.

I tested the water last night and did a water change when I noticed she was off colour, but she never picked up.

RIP Boo...I'll miss you little girlie :cry