Scuba Doesn't Look Like He's Feeling Too Well.

gunbunnyj

So about 2 weeks ago I brought home my new little ryukin from Big Al's. The tank he was in was not in the greatest condition but he was swimming well and looked to be in good condition (no external parasites or anything). Between the tank and the couple hour drive back to my house some black marks had showed up on his tail which I'm assuming to be ammonia burns.

Right now he's in a 10 gallon QT tank by himself. It's not cycled but I did put some of the ceramic bio rings from my big tank into the filters. I know how the ammonia can build up in such a small tank. I've been doing 100% WCs about every 4-5 days and adding Prime every day in between because I read on here, that somebody said this detoxifies the ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, but leaves them available for the BBs to use for cycling.

I've been treating with Prazi ( I've done 4 treatments now) and I was feeding him metromeds until my dog decided to eat the entire bag yesterday (so unbelievably mad at the dog right now) so he got about 12 days of metromeds. I also started with just 0.1% salt but I thought I noticed some ick spots on him a couple days after i brought him home so I gradually upped it to 0.3%

I noticed yesterday that he didn't really seem like he was swimming around to much and today I noticed that he's just sitting inside the little vase either sitting on the bottom or sort of floating vertically. It also seems like he's gasping rather abnormally. There are no red marks on him and his scales are normal, no bloating, and the ick spots have disappeared completely. He seems like since I just did his water change that he's doing better but I'm worried about the bottom sitting and the gasping. Could this be a sign of some kind of flukes?

I did add prime at double the amount called for but I've been having some problems with ammonia in the tap. It should be detoxified right now because I just changed the tank about 10 minutes ago.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? Between 0.5-1.0 ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? 0.25 ppm

[*]Nitrate level? Between 0 and 5 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.0

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop kits

[*]Water temperature? 75

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon QT tank

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaclear 20 and penguin 150

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 100% wc every 4-5 days, prime added to detoxify every day in between

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 ryukin about 1- 1.5"

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x daily, was metromeds, now jumpstart (he's no eating very well)

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? salt and prazipro

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc. Bottom sitting, gasping, not eating very well

First off it seems like Scuba is feeling a bit better since the wc, swimming a bit more.

Second, I realized that the new cartridge I put in the penguin had charcoal in it so probably none of those prazi treatments did any good. (Stupid me.) :whatjust:

Poor little thing. Sounds like the water change was a good call though and he is perking up. The prazi should be repeated and daily salted w/cs in an uncycled QT should help him lots. Keep the lights low to de-stress and feed him some high nutritious food. LFS fish are often simply underfed and malnourished.

Sorry about the MMs- my dog would do the same...