Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

Gabriel Is Upside Down!

Haha no Im just a no-lifer :rolleyes:

So if she does a 50% water change I think you/she can just add back an exact half piece of one slice of the meds... (sounds like cake lol). A little on the more side than the less..

ok, thank you! I had a bad feeling about leaving for 2night and leaving my poor parents to care for my sick baby.

You are doing all you can. Get the ammonia out and the meds in.

Just a thought. I dont suppose you have any zeolite/ammo chips to hand? These can really help with meds in an uncycled tank by binding temporarily any ammonia.

I just put a new bag of ammonia filter media stuff in there! :hmm

Maybe check the ammonia levels again before you go.

my mom checked the levels around 6:30 tonight and they were 0.25 ppm. here is what I am using, pPETS-3756670t400.jpg, this is actually not made for my filter but I make it work.

Has your Mom got that out now and the replacement meds in? I was confused- I thought you were still at home.

not yet, she said she'd call me when she has taken the tank water out and then I have to make sure she knows what to add and how much.

sorry I confused you! :duckk:

She's a well trained Mom! Im sure everything will go fine. Enjoy your evening :)

thanks, I hope you do too! she's happy for me that I have this "hobby" and to her surprise she really likes him! :))

ok, everythings done and ammonia is now 0 ppm :hi5

Yay for ammonia kits and smart Mothers  :panana:D

today's update

Today is the final day of metronidazole meds. He still isn't swimming around the tank, but he does move a little here and there around the net. He is no longer stuck on his back belly up! :Jig: I know I probably shouldn't been getting too excited b/c we aren't out of the woods yet.

Gabriel left my Mother a suprise today...it was poopie! :teehee He hasn't done that for a few days now. I'm going to add the picture, although you may not want to see it (?). It was taken w/ a cell phone so the quality isn't that great and by the time I got home 2night it was gone and has most likely been sucked up by the filter.

2vv7y12.jpg

Any improvement + normal looking poop is good news. I hope he will start to eat the Jungle now and find his way back horizontal. Let us know how he is today when you get a chance!

he ate a little more last night and he seemed hungrier! he isn't swimming around yet though. :no:

I'm going to feed him some of the jungle anti bac food in a little bit. I wanted to post b/c his dorsal fin is up for the first time in days! :clapping: that's a good sign, right?

Ohgoodness that is a FANTASTIC sign! Well done. That's a little "thankyou Mom" from him!

Keep that water perfect. He's a trooper :heart

I got another poopie 2day! :) I am feeding Gabriel now, and he actually ate a few pieces by himself! I'm going to leave him alone and see if he can eat anymore alone and then if he hasn't I'll help him. but I'm sooooo happy!! :happydance I checked his water and the ammonia has risen again, so I did a small water change and I'm going to check on it in a little bit. I'm wondering if the epsom salts are affecting the ammonia filter media. question.gif I know that regular aquarium salt can do that. I've also added some kordon amquel.

things are looking up! fingerscrossed.gif

I've been trying to figure out what caused Gabriel to get sick. I'm wondering if it was the driftwood and plants I bought from someone's personal tank? just incase I've decided not to put them into his new tank. I don't think I'm going to put any real plants either, not b/c I'm worried he'll get sick, but b/c I can't seem to keep them alive! except for a marimo moss ball, I think they'd be fun!

I got another poopie 2day! :) I am feeding Gabriel now, and he actually ate a few pieces by himself!

I was so happy to read this Martha! Also the tiny amount of epsom will not affect the bbs dont worry.

I'm wondering if it was the driftwood and plants I bought from someone's personal tank? just incase I've decided not to put them into his new tank.

Well you can introduce new bacteria and or parasite larvae for sure like this. New bacteria will be something the fish then has to struggle with developing resistance against yes.

Re- removing items be careful..hopefully the bbs in the media will be enough but you may get a cycle tweak and need to monitor water when you remove things.

I didn't think about that. I'm just afraid to add the wood back in now that he's making such progress.

I check his water quality at least once a day, sometimes more.

he is definately eating the medicated food.

I'm so proud of him!!!! :heart

You are doing so well with him! I am sure he is grateful and knows...I am proud of him too.

He is such a sweet looking little thing too :heart

update

Gabe is doing fantastic! He's very hungry 2day. I still have to help him find the food, but when he does it's gobbled up! I wanted to know if I could over feed him w/ this jungle anti bac food? b/c he's so hungry I give him quite a bit. they are small pellets.

what do you think about a wc? his water is fine, just wondering.

Even if you have zero ammonia and zero nitrites and nitrates under 10 small partial water changes always perk a fish up. New electrolytes and minerals enter the water that the fish can use.

You can feed as much as he will eat within 5 mins or so -10 if hes slow and its tricky- of the Jungle for the duration of the course. Twice daily.

Great to hear he has a good appetite.