Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

Gabriel Is Upside Down!

Antibiotics work in a build up way so you end up with 75mg per gallon total used.

that means no water change, correct? I'm sorry I'm so clueless! I just want to double check and not screw this up!! I really, really, really appreciate all the time you've spent helping me! :hug

Thats correct. And its a pleasure to help. No water change unless you see ammonia then post back at once. Meds have to reach a therapeutic level within the fish tissues/GI tract. To do this the dosage has to be repeated in order not to shock and given the fact that meds do not stay in a fish but are constantly being removed somewhat via the kidneys and the fishes gills. 3 days for metro is the recommended time for an average sized fish (2-3 inches) to retain enough of the medication to be effective.

I just administered his first dose. I was able to get a few 250 tablets from my vet (and he didn't charge me!). So I sliced it into 5 pieces like a pie and added one slice to some hot water from the stove and shook it around for a bit.

He is such a strong boy to hold on since the 26th w/out medicine! I've got my fingers crossed!! :goodluck

Nothing to add from me but that I am crossing my fingers for your guy too!

Hang on, little guy! You can do eet!

Same here, hoping the meds work and he recovers!

I just checked on my baby and his tail is so damaged! :cry his front fins are much smaller then they were b4 he became so sick, too. will all this stuff grow back??

I just checked on my baby and his tail is so damaged! :cry his front fins are much smaller then they were b4 he became so sick, too. will all this stuff grow back??

Yup, fins will grow back. Hang in there!

How is he behaving on his first day in the medicated water Martha?

the only improvement I see is his breathing is more regular. at first I didn't realize his breathing was irregular, like fast. but as I look at him now he looks "normal". he still looks like a pinecone and his poor fins and tail are so battered. some looking like they are shedding. he is now laying on his side. I am keeping him in the net which is being held in place by duct tape so he is "hanging" in the middle of the tank. I read on the dropsy page that the water pressure can be too much if the tank is full and he's sitting on the bottom.

Well that is good, very good. And its true a basket is best at the top re-water pressure. The top also has more dissolved oxygen which he needs too.

I am so sorry. This is so traumatic. And I cannot promise he is going to pull through, but he does seem like an incredible fighter and you are doing everything you possibly can. Watch closely for the scales returning to normal, after that you can breathe easier.

Is he eating at all?

I haven't tried to feed him. Should I try peas or the medicated food, or maybe both mixed?

now can I run his filter w/ the metro medicine in the water? I have taken the carbon out. But I do have some bio media in there.

Which med food do you have there? Lets see if they are compatible..

You can hold a tiny piece of soft pea in front of his mouth again.

I hand fed a grounded fish for almost one year! They get use to it.

sorry, for some reason my internet connection failed. anyway, it's jungle anti-bacteria food.

Yes perfect. Compatible. But dont start unless he is eating. Its an antibiotic food so needs to be continued, a few pellets here and there are not really a good idea. The peas may be better if he is spitting out..

he's eating the peas!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful news! He really needs the vitamins and nutrition.

Water meds if right should bring back the fishes appetite like this.

I should try him with a Jungle pellet- same way- later tonight. Good job!

well, I only had a small victory. he ate some peas and a few medicated pellets, but overall he did not consume very much compared to his regular appitite. b/c he has eaten some I have turned his filter back on. I am going to do a second dosage of meds 2morrow morning aswell as another feeding. I will not be able to feed or medicated him again until late thursday afternoon. incase I don't make it back home on thursday I can get my mother to administer his meds but I don't think she'll be able to feed him b/c it's very difficult. I have to sort of hold him and help him find the food. he is becoming more and more active as the night progresses but he is still unable to swim around or sit right side up.

I do not know if meds at this point are going to correct his balance issues. What they will and can do is reduce the bloat> flatten the scales, kill off any threatening bacteria and increase his appetite. This is step one. You may still have his balance issues to deal with, let's see. It does depend how far reaching the bacteria have been and if his kidneys are/swimbladder is damaged or not.

You are doing great :)

today's update:

I added his second dose of meds.

when I checked his water levels the ammonia has risen to 0.25ppm. should I do a water change or just keep on eye on the ammonia until he recieves his last dosagage of metro 2morrow?

he only ate 2 or 3 pellets of the jungle anti bac food this morning. I might be able to get my mom to try and feed him some more 2night when she gets off work.

some promising news, he is able to sit on his belly for a little while and then rolls to his side.

his scales are not as spikey either.

Trinket, what do you think? Anything else I should be doing? How is the ammonia level?

Hi. Is that the first yellow color on the chart? Which test kit are you using?

I would say any higher than that and you got problems but maybe wait a little and see...try again? Im anxious the meds are dosed correctly you see for max effect :hummm

I'm using an api drop test. it's the second color, below yellow. well the pills I got were from my vet and they were 250 mg so I cut them into 5's like a pie and I put one slice in yesterday and one more in 2day.

also, would you be able to delete my duplicate post in the 911 emergency section? I had posted in here first and then in there b4 you started to help me in this section.

oh, and when you asked if Gaberiel was a pearlscale does that mean he's not a ryukin?

I think he's a ryukin hun. I saw Gabriel first belly up and his belly was swollen so I thought he might have been a little round pearlscale. Now I see him in all his glory in your avator pic I can say he's a very pretty fantail/ryukin not 100% sure which. Either way he has beautiful coloring.

If its the second stage on the amm chart then I am afraid you really need to change some water....have you got plenty of the meds? I am going to work out exactly how much has to go back in if you can do an exact 50% water change in a minute..

I'll go delete the other thread for you too..

thanks so much 4 deleting that. I really shouldn't have posted twice :wa , but I was in a panic.

I can get my mom to do a 50% wc, I've showed her how. :) do you charge extra for working on new year's eve? :)

oh, my vet gave me ten 250 mg pills so I have enough.