Sign in to follow this  
mardaokansi

Gabriel Is Upside Down!

I haven't been on here for a few months and unfortunately I'm on here 2night b/c I came home from shopping and found Gabriel upside down stuck to his filter!

I'm so scared, this is the first time he has ever been sick and I don't want anything bad to happen to him. I'll get the water test results up soon, here's the rest of the required info. Right now I am trying to keep his round little body from the filter. He has put on lots of weight after I switched his food from flakes to pellets.

Is this swim bladder? I tried doing a search on here but it wasn't giving me the posts I wanted.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

73 Water temperature?

10 gals, almost a year --- moving him into 20 asap Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

eheim What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

once a week, 2 gals How often do you change the water and how much?

just him How many fish in the tank and their size?

kordon nova aqua + What kind of water additives or conditioners?

nutrafin pellets and tetrafin pellets alternate once a day. peas once in a while. daphnia. blood worms. What do you feed your fish and how often?

no Any new fish added to the tank?

no Any medications added to the tank?

no Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

upside down! can't turn over!! getting stuck to the filter! Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Martha, I'm so sorry your fish is not well. Somebody who is knowledgeable will respond with answers. Hang in there!

Do you have test results of your water? That is usuall the first thing to look at when there is a problem and a mod won't really be able to help until you post those. Most local fish stores will test your water for free, just be sure to get the exact numbers from them.

Also is he looking bloated with his scales looking rough and pineconed? You say he has put on weight but bloat can also happen in sick fish. I don't think this is swimbladder, it sounds more like an infection to me. Can you check water for ammonia/nitrite/and nitrate and post back soon?

I am trying as fast as I can but I need to keep him away from the filter and I am waiting for the water results now. His scales do not show those symptoms. I did push gently on his belly and it is firm. He tries to turn over but is unable to. He is very active and is trying to swim and such. I'll be back with those results. I don't want to leave him alone for long.

OK.

Martha- do you have a stocking hose or a piece of lint or anything you can attach to around the filter so that he does not get sucked in? Alternatively you could get a tank divider fixed sectioning off the filter area.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

0 ppm Ammonia Level? with drops

0 ppm Nitrite Level? with drops

0-5.0 ppm Nitrate level? with drops

7.2-7.6 ppm Ph Level, Tank with drops

30 GH, tank with strip

0 KH, tank with strip

7.6 ppm Ph Level, Tap with drops

0-30 GH, Tap with strip

40-80 KH, Tap with strip

my dad brought me some window screen, I'll see if maybe my mom has any pantyhose

219rv2f.jpg

he is not lifted out of the water, I just have the net there so I could get him to stay still for a picture.

Is he a pearlscale?

How long has he been upside down (days?weeks?)

Your water looks fine.

Are there any marks on your fish like red spots or streaks in the tail?

Is he still eating well?

Is his mouth open or can you see if his gills are moving very fast?

Has he pooped recently and if so what was it like? Stringy? White? Food colored?

Is he a pearlscale? I'm sorry, but I don't know what that means. I'm a newbie at fish husbandry.

How long has he been upside down (days?weeks?) Today

Your water looks fine.

Are there any marks on your fish like red spots or streaks in the tail? not that I can see

Is he still eating well? normally he's a piggy, I haven't fed him today. I don't know if he can eat upside down??

Is his mouth open or can you see if his gills are moving very fast? he's puckering his mouth normally and his gills are normal unless he sits and stops swimming and then they move a little faster than normal.

Has he pooped recently and if so what was it like? Stringy? White? Food colored? I haven't monitored his pooping lately, but they've been normal, like brown colored.

looking at the pic I just posted I haven't seen those spots under his fins be4, but then again I've never seen him upside down be4.

Yes. Looking at the pics I can see some red belly spots which usually means "infection" and since there are no other fish with him and no new items I assume in the tank we can probably rule out parasites and so it will be a bacterial infection. These are common. Fish pass water through their bodies 24/7 and that water is full of the bacteria build up from their constant pooping....

With bacterial systemic (inside) infections the best route for healing is often via medicated food if the fish is still eating which your fish is. Jungle anti bacterial food is easy to get hold of and often good for these kind of infections.

But first (and since his poop looks normal which means the infection is not really severe) and while you get your hands on the med food, can you try feeding him peas? Softly boiled and de-shelled green peas for a few days to clear his intestines and enable the meds to work that bit better.

A pearlscale is a kind of rounder fish with little pearl shaped looking scales :)

here's a close up of the pic I posted above, are these unusual spots?

k1cuw6.jpg

ok, I'll get him some peas now. once he gets better should I do a 100% wc?

Yes. I would. Do you have any epsom salts? You only need the tiniest amount and it acts as a kind of diuretic for fish by increasing fluids in the intestines and purging them- makes the fish "go"..gets them hungrier too which is good before med food. You only need one quarter of a teaspoon for 10 gallons.

I can see bloating and the scales look a little raised so epsom will help a lot.

The black dots are a reaction to a recent toxin in the water...something that has made the fish produce erroneous color pigmentation. Could be ammonia. Could be medication (have you had any in the water?).

I haven't added any medication yet. I don't know if I have epsom salt, but I do have aquarium salt. I'll dbl check on the epsom salt though. and I can get him some medicated food 2morrow. thank you SO much for all your help. I am very worried about my little baby!

I haven't added any medication yet. I don't know if I have epsom salt, but I do have aquarium salt. I'll dbl check on the epsom salt though.

Make sure you don't have any trace of aquarium salt in there before adding the epsom. You can get epsom salt at just about any drug store.

the pantyhose isn't keeping him from the filter

ok, well I think I've got it safe. I've used some window screen and duct taped it to the tank and used an ornament to keep it upright.

he's actually having a hard time eating upside down and so I put him in the net and put the peas in there. but I had to help him a little b/c they kept going under his body.

he's also got fresh water and filter pads.

Edited by Martha

Ok...just checking here but did you cook the peas and take the shell off of them???

I usually cook them then throw them back in the freezer to harden up, then take the skin off them and feed them. If you hold the pea next to your his mouth he can eat it.

Right on...no epsom and aquarium salt in the same tank!

Keep it up, you are doing a good job! Listen to Trinket she is the best! :)

I don't know if I should make a new post or continue on here.

so here's the UPDATE

he ate some peas last night.

I got the medicated food today and tried to feed it to him but he'd spit it back out whole.

he's still upside down and is on the bottom.

I added some epsom salt and melafix.

I've turned off his filter and his bubble thing is on.

occasionally he'll jet around the tank, but mostly he stays in the corner, upside down and very unhappy.

I'm VERY worried!

what else can I do for him?? I want him to get better!!!! :cry

btw, I do not have a heater in his tank. does he need one since he is sick?

I'm searching the net and koko's for possible diagnosis and I don't know what to think. I know that last night I was offered the bacteria diagnosis. but since he isn't improving I'm going mad and wondering if it's dropsy or a fungus or whatever.

I wish there was a fish doctor I could go to!!

he is still upside down and has not eaten any of the medicated food. this is my email: heresthings@yahoo.com, can someone please email me with help or post on here? I'm going to do a 30 or 40% wc today aswell.

he is still upside down and has not eaten any of the medicated food. this is my email: heresthings@yahoo.com, can someone please email me with help or post on here? I'm going to do a 30 or 40% wc today aswell.

What medicated food are you trying to feed him?

You can always hand feed medicated food to a sick fish who will not eat.

Jungle anti bacterial food

he'll suck it in and 15 seconds later he spits it out