I'm Pretty Sure My Tank Is Leaking

seheap

first off, Merry Christmas to everyone! :)

Secondly, the worst present I got this morning was a puddle of water next to my tank.

I emptied it and put my guys into a 12 gallon rubbermaid. :( This is a problem, I know, but I will be getting a new tank soon. :(

I completely dried it off and am trying to figure out of the tank is actually leaking or if it was a weird freak of nature that there is about a gallon of water missing from my tank. I topped if off last night so I know it isn't all from evaporation. :unsure:

What do I do? I was thinking of putting it on paper towel and filling it with water and adding food coloring to the water to see if any of it leaks out onto the paper toweling. But I'm not sure if food coloring would be a "not so good" thing to use in my tank. :idont

I am kinda freaking out. I called Steve to see if he would come over and help me figure it out but, of course, he is opening presents with his family and won't be able to come over for a couple hours. I figured that someone on here would know what to do! :please

AHHH! I am all pumped up of adrenaline and can't sit still! :krazy:

So you think that food coloring would be ok to use in the tank? I really don't want to poison my fish if there is anything harmful that would be left behind.....

Most leaks are fixed by redoing the silicone in the tank. You would have to remove it all on the inside since new silicone doesn't bond to old silicone very well. When do you think you are getting your new tank? If its soon there's nothing wrong with getting a really big rubbermaid tote and using it for a while. The food coloring idea should be ok. We use it in our food so I doubt it will hurt the fish. So it could help to find out where the leak is, you're lucky the whole seam didn't go and then there would have been a much bigger puddle.

So none of the accessories to your tank could have done this? I had an AC70 that was cracked and leaked all over the floor. Just giving ou some ideas. Good luck!

I thought it was the filter at first but I checked it over for cracks. I think I will try the food coloring thing now. If it turns out to be the silicone I guess I will just have to speed up the new tank buying thing. Sheesh....... :(

I would avoid the food coloring to me it dont sound to safe. Do you have a rubbermaid you could temporarily move the guys to to enable a proper inspection of the main tank ?

yeah avoid the food color...maybe potassium permanganate if u have any???...I know it cannot harm the fish when you get them back in the tank...would be safe...Keep some hydrogen peroxide to decolor it if a carpet is somewhere close...so that you could avoid coloring the carpet if you have to carry the water..I hope u know wat I mean... :blink::)

I would do a really close check of all your equipment first, to rule any of that out. Then, put the tank on something that will show the water leak well, like something light/dark colored? Paper maybe? Make sure the outside is totally dry, then see if you can tell if it's leaking from anywhere as you fill it. The tank leaks I have had have been "slow" leaks, I never had a gallon all at once except from equipment failure. Not to say it isn't possible, though. Do you have backflow check valves on all of your stuff? I have had water leaks from that, and from a cracked filter outflow, those kinds of things.

I agree on not trying the food color, that sounds pretty messy to me. I have had luck resealing a tank, it worked out fine and didn't leak at all once resealed. I was pretty nervous about it!

Best of luck!

Nenn is spot on. A piece of dry newspaper will turn dark when wet - and you should be able to identify from which area the leak is occurring. Observe it often - for if too much leaks out, it will wet too much paper.

Far more common, at least in my tanks, is a piece of equipment that is not BROKEN, but misplaced. An airbubbler that is particularly energetic gets moved by me or the fish until it is bubbling right under another airhose or intake tube or something. The water gathers slowly and runs down the outside of the hose and puddles. I have had airpumps that have popped hoses and back syphoned out - the checkvalve was the part that popped off! I have had filters that splashed just enough that it hit the lid in just the right way to cause a drip to travel across the lid to an air hose, where it runs down and wets the floor!

Before breaking down your entire tank, I would also carefully check all electical wires, air hoses and intakes to see if errant spash could be causing incedental water to run outside the tank.

That done, dry newspaper is the best.

Do not worry. Resealing a tank is not that hard or labor intensive. I have done it - and I am a clutz!

Far more common, at least in my tanks, is a piece of equipment that is not BROKEN, but misplaced. An airbubbler that is particularly energetic gets moved by me or the fish until it is bubbling right under another airhose or intake tube or something. The water gathers slowly and runs down the outside of the hose and puddles. I have had airpumps that have popped hoses and back syphoned out - the checkvalve was the part that popped off! I have had filters that splashed just enough that it hit the lid in just the right way to cause a drip to travel across the lid to an air hose, where it runs down and wets the floor!

If the water is higher than normal and the bubbler pushes it up to the top edge, sometimes the water can climb up and out under the edge cap by capillary action too. were there any streaks on the outside of the glass that you recall?

Ok, here is an update. I filled the tank all the way to the top and let it sit all day Thursday. No leaks. I think maybe Daniel was right. The filter may have been pushing the water up the edge. I did fill it slightly higher than normal. The kids are back in the tank. I am visiting family in Michigan but steve is fish-sitting for me. I hope he would know to tell me if anything goes wrong. Hopefully. :) I'm so glad that everyone here is so understanding. Otherwise everytime I post something I would be told I'm overreacting. :) I love you guys! I feel like the girl who cries wolf. I'm not doing it to be difficult, I promise!

Ok, here is an update. I filled the tank all the way to the top and let it sit all day Thursday. No leaks. I think maybe Daniel was right. The filter may have been pushing the water up the edge. I did fill it slightly higher than normal. The kids are back in the tank. I am visiting family in Michigan but steve is fish-sitting for me. I hope he would know to tell me if anything goes wrong. Hopefully. :) I'm so glad that everyone here is so understanding. Otherwise everytime I post something I would be told I'm overreacting. :) I love you guys! I feel like the girl who cries wolf. I'm not doing it to be difficult, I promise!

We would much rather you cry wolf, than you cry because your water and goldies are all on the floor instead of in the tank! I am so glad it was nothing.