Sign in to follow this  
stalepriest

Help With Water Readings.

Well I got a mini master test kit early for xmas of my wife. Below are the readings I just took. The tank has been running for around 6-7 weeks.

PH 7-7.5

Nitrate 5-10

Nitrite 0.1

Ammonia 0-0.6

Is my tank close to being cycled?

Looks like you are almost there! Keep those water changes up, you are almost out of the woods. You dont want any ammonia or nitrites to register on you tests. Those nitrates are definately a good sign :happydance

Edited by NightAngel

Woohoo, cheers. :)

Still do a daily water change? I have been doing 50% a day for those 6-7 weeks.

Edited by stalepriest

I would keep testing daily and do a water change whenever the ammonia gets above 0.50 and the nitrite gets above 0.25. Some people even recommend a w/c if the ammonia gets to 0.25.

The daily water changes are a pain, but they keep the fish safe. Then it is such a relief when you finally cycle!

Yes you are almost there! Woo Hoo!

Daily water changes. If your fish seem stressed out in anyway you can always salt for the nitrites.

Almost there! YAY!

I think nows a time to get goldfishy in the tank lol, sounds like you are over the spike hurdles too!

Splendid, and I have had my fish in the tank 2 days after setting the tank up. I did transfer some media and plastic plants from my old tank. The fish have never gotten ill so far, my oranda got floaty for a day or two, but peas followed by fasting for 2 days and he's fine.

I can't wait to test again tomorrow, the drop test kit makes me feel like a scientist, lol. Some of the warnings on those little bottles are a little scary though.

lol...I had the same feeling when i bought my drop test kit... Brought me back to chemistry class. Now all i need is a microscope and a bunsen burner!

Lol I didn't know anyone else liked to play scientist when testing water chemistry.......that makes me feel better :)

Hon, I want a white lab coat to wear when I do mine! XD

Sounds great!

from what you posted all is going to schedule and you are doing a great job!

It does get easier after the cycle :)

ahhhhhh test kits...i got a huge fancy box, lined it with foam with holes to hold all the kits and test tubes.....my kids friends take one look and think I am a scientist! LOL

I must admit testing for everything in all 7 tanks in one day makes my kitchen bench look MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the hobby is addictive....no wonder I got a job ding it now!

keep up the good work your doing great!

Kokos will make a scientist of you too :)

*edited because I can not spell*

Edited by LuvMuhFred

Lol I didn't know anyone else liked to play scientist when testing water chemistry.......that makes me feel better :)

We all have to release our "inner geek" sometimes!