Goldfish Being Petted?

Bubbleboy

Ok, well, as a goldfish lover on and off Koko's, I was just browsing goldfish videos on youtube today when I came across this.

Is this right????!!!! Dosn't that hurt the fish? Is it ok since the fish just swims into his hand??? I'm confused! :krazy:

I can pet my goldfish Omor he likes my hand but he is hand fed and will always come to my hand. However I would never grab or be rough like that with him. Usally I cup my hand in the water and he swims into it a brushes against it. I would be worried about grabbing him that hard they are very small and could easily be damaged internally or externally from that kind of contact. That is also the same thing he sees at feeding, a big figure outside his home who drops in food so that hand is probably very exciting because of the prospect of having dinner as well.

You two know I'm new at this, so here's my two cents. At first glance, I didn't really see anything wrong with it; just really strange behavior on the owner's part. Who pets an animal that is known universally for *not* being petted? Also, when somebody presumes that an animal "likes it", yet keeps his grip, I tend to think the person is fooling him/herself. In that grip, the fish can't get away even if it wanted to.

Maybe it's me, but isn't this fish's tail a little frayed?

I think, while incredibly sweet, the handling is indeed a bit rough. During water changes my fishies rub against my hand and I'll rub them with a finger or two. I'd be fearful of damaging their slime coat.

But what a wonderfully friendly fish. He needs a buddy! :hug

Some fish keeper I am totally miss the fins. I'd say that fish is pretty beat up. Fin tearing can occur for a lot of reasons but a fish by himself in a tank stress would be my guess. Another concern I would like to raise. When that guys leg comes into picture it appears he has failed to put on pants.... this is disturbing and the fish may be averting his eyes into the dudes palm to avoid laughing. Finally that is a fat mans hand and fat guys should know better than to pick on anything, I am a fat man I know don't be mean to others your fat and can't run away.

There is on all pages about spawning a hand spawning trick with goldfish recommended but I don't think I could do it cause it talks about being very gently cause of the internal damage you can do so I think the verdict is......................

BAD FAT MAN BAD

I'd be fearful of damaging their slime coat.

But what a wonderfully friendly fish. He needs a buddy! :hug

Yeah, the slime coat; good thinking! He does need a buddy. The owner, as well as the fish, maybe; seriously. I still think it's odd to pet a non-petting animal.

He has no.... pants... on? I'll take your word for it; I don't really want to see that.

I want to keep this in good taste and bring up a few points. So, being how the guy is "dressed", the camera, and his actions (not to mention the music), this must be one of those guys/ladies who want their video on Dave Letterman for their 15 minutes of fame.

Eeeewwww!!!!

When did 15 minutes of fame go hand-in-hand with 15 seconds of shame? I mean I want to leave my mark on the world don't get me wrong but maybe if that is my legacy I am going to pass. Hands up everyone who has never posted a video of themselves on the internet. Its lonely being the only guy with his hand up. Maybe this internet thing needs to be re thought to avoid guys like this getting play time. Some ground rules for the new internet.

1) One must always maintain a clothed and clean appearance when taking video of ones self.

2) One will never think they are funny if their humourous movement on video is of abuse of another creature (way too much red tape with activist groups I'm no hippy and really who wants them around our new internet)

3) Video issued to the internet should not be a wasted attempt at reclaiming the coolness you were missing in high school. You weren't cool then and you aren't cool now stop showing me how you can stick a straw up your nose and bring it out other openings I don't care.

4) Crappy music that has no beat or timing to crappy videos are to be banned. IP addresses of offenders will be handed to authorities and all of your barry manilow albums will be removed.

This is fun maybe my 15 minutes can be as the moses of internet 2.0 (from here on out known as the internet no one will ever use.) I'm almost half way to the 10. lol

HAHAHAHA I thought the exact same thing when I saw that video. I was like......is he not wearing....pants? Lol but I have to admit it. I have a tendancy to pet my goldfish whilst wearing nothing. Jk. :rofl

And I read the same thing about handling goldfish during "Hand Stripping". It's a method in which the goldfish keeper gently "Squeezes" the lower abdomen of both a male and female goldfish releasing eggs and milt. Then he stirrs them up and waits for them to hatch lol. But it said this is dangerous and could cause fatal internal harm to a goldfish. So I was pretty much squirming in my seat every time his thumb pressed against his goldfish.

And at very least I think that would damage the slime coat.....

Ok...with all the joking aside about fat guy with no pants (reminds me of Chris Farley..."Fat guy in a little coat").

Is it just me or did the tank look way too small for that size fish?? :unsure: ? I'll admit, i didn't watch the whole video, but very early in it, the poor goldie bumped into the side. It didn't look like he had alot of room to swim around.

Yeah I thought size was an issue with the tank. Seemed small hard to tell on video. Although the fish maybe felt like it wasn't small compared....... wait thats a bad joke best not told in a family environment.

A message for fat men everywhere (I can issue this message again I am a fat man) please wear pants we are best seen in pants usually black and if you can pull it off with vertical stripes (however striped pants can come across tacky so be careful).

I just think that guy shouldn't be petting his goldfish like that. At some points it looks like this fish is trying to swim away. I'd be afriad to hurt the poor thing.

The no pants thing....kind of...irked....me.... It does look like he has no pants....kind of disturbing if you ask me....

I have one goldfish that loves to swim into my cupped hand if I hold it there for a second while changing water, but he just sits there and I don't move. I like that he intiates contact, but I don't do anything else. I thought the rocking seemed especially scary and I noticed that he was wrapping his hand around the fish during those times...meaning the fish would choose to swim away if he could...seems kind of weird and rough.

Try reading the comments below the video. Makes you wonder about how people perceive things. One comment was: "Man, that's one of the cutest things I have ever seen! I don't really like Goldfish (I think they are ugly but this video made me think seriously about getting a Goldfish like yours!! I love to pet animals in general"

Great. Someone who thinks gfs are ugly is going to buy them so s/he can pet them. OMG :veryangry::blowup::argue::redcard:kickbutt

If Youtube isn't referred to, I never watch it. But when I looked at the video you posted, I did see another about a 11.5 *inch* gf! Did you see it? The monster fish is there, then the teeny hand comes in. I almost fell off the floor. I mean my chair. LOL

:)santa

• 4 weeks later...

I think you are talking about Bruce. unless there is another monster goldie?

2dhb505.jpg

found this pic ^ on google.

j15aus.jpg

this pic is from Goldfishnet.com

and they guy responded about the no pants thing, lol. he says it's an orange t-shirt.

I think this video was weird, the fact that he looks naked is creepy, and the music is odd.

Yes it's all very very odd. I've seen Bruce before, and there's another goldfish out there around his size. Search sampson the goldfish on youtube. It'll be a mondo redcap oranda.

Bruce looks a little bigger though. That one of him swimming in the second pic is amazing! I really want to know their secret haha. Wouldn't it be fun to swim with bruce? :D