Rolling Blackouts

Bubbleboy

Ok, I know this isn't a disease, but I couldn't find anywhere else that I thought this would fit more.

My city has experienced severe ice storms today and half the people here are without power now. I am lucky enough to where I still have power, but I feel as though our might give any minute. Maybe it's the flickering lights/buzzing noises that gave it away lol. Anyways, I know there's another post about this somewhere on the site but I couldn't find it. Sorry.

So what do I do in the event of a blackout? Goldfish are coldwater, so she should be fine if the temperature drops, right? Also, what will I do without a filter? Just water change like 25% every day or so? Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

I think there's some stuff in the general discussion forum, buried of course. And maybe in 'tanks & equipment'.

There are battery operated air pumps and battery back-ups, of course. Being without a filter for awhile isn't awful...but good aeration is needed during this time. If you're without power for days, I would change about 50% or so everyday. 25% seems like it just wouldn't do that much -- but then you may be without source to heat your water, so that's tricky too.

Also, I know it's important to drop your filter cartridge into the water so the BBs stay alive -- it will dry out if left in the box.

During a power outage, I put mine in a plastic bag and hung that in the tank (with water in it -- so the gunk didn't get everywhere, but the filter stayed submerged. I also didn't have a battery back-up to the air pump, so I just stirred the water around and made bubbles with a turkey baster every 10-15 minutes.

Here's hoping you get lucky and your power stays on though!

• 2 weeks later...

How did the blackout go, Bubbleboy? I hope all your fish are okay, and nothing happened. :D

I have had power out for as long as two days, and haven't lost a fish from it yet. I float the bio wheels in the tank, and stop feeding the fish. when the power comes back on, I do a big water change. I worry more about it in the summer than in the winter, with a higher water temp. Also, if I think a big storm is coming, I do a big water change right before, so I know the water is pretty clean to start with. I can't change water during a power outage, since my well runs on electricity, too.

I think if your fish are healthy, and your water parameters are overall good, and you're not overstocked, you'll be OK for a while without power.

I think the water change AFTER is most important, because sludge can build up from stuff not moving around for a couple of days.