Type Of Betta?

maddy1997

I got a new betta but I have a question, I was wondering what type it is. It has a frilly tail looks like the end of a tassle. It has a little bit of a bump near his ventral fins. What type if this? http://biology.umd.edu/soareslab/pics%20fo.../betta_fish.jpg looks like this (this is not my betta!)

TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR BETTA. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BETTA IS CROWNTAIL TYPE. AS FAR AS HIS MOUTH STAYING OPEN I AM NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS.

I can't take pics now bacause my camera is full and the flash will scare Moe

TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR BETTA. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BETTA IS CROWNTAIL TYPE. AS FAR AS HIS MOUTH STAYING OPEN I AM NOT SURE WHAT THAT MEANS.

Sounds like a crowntail, but his mouth shouldn't hang open all the time. He should be capable of opening and closing like a normal fish. :(

Sounds like a crowntail, but his mouth shouldn't hang open all the time. He should be capable of opening and closing like a normal fish. :(

what could it mean? broken maybe?

what could it mean? broken maybe? It is not all the way open but it is slightly open. Why does my betta only swim at the top of the fish tank? and have a bloated belly undernath his ventral fins?

Is your betta floating on its side? Does it seem incapable of swimming at different levels of your tank?

Many bettas will hang out near the surface so it has easy access to food & air, but they should be capable of swimming near the bottom and middle area of your tank. All healthy fish should explore their surroundings.

Its possible there's something wrong with him. Have you checked the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels of the water?

Make sure the water has safe levels of these toxins and that you clean out any poop & uneaten food regularly.

Is your betta floating on its side? Does it seem incapable of swimming at different levels of your tank?

Many bettas will hang out near the surface so it has easy access to food & air, but they should be capable of swimming near the bottom and middle area of your tank. All healthy fish should explore their surroundings.

Its possible there's something wrong with him. Have you checked the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels of the water?

Make sure the water has safe levels of these toxins and that you clean out any poop & uneaten food regularly.

I checked my betta and he was swimming at the bottom then went to the top. I have checked water quality, all is good. I still want to know about the bump underneath his ventral fins. Here is what the bump underneath the ventral fins look like http://www.tropical-aquatic.com/img_big/Crown_tail_betta.jpg (This is not my betta) :P

Edited by goldfish1997

That bump is where their stomach is so it's probably constipated. I'd fast it for a couple days and try to feed it a pea. My bettas are about half and half on whether they will eat peas.

For how many days about 3 maybe? thanks so much for your help

My 4 females get bellies like that after I give them a meal of gel food :) They get peas from that too, so no problem getting them to eat their veggies xD

Their new albino cory friend likes it too :)

Good luck with your beta boy, I've had mine for 4-5 years now, and he's still looking as handsome as ever ;)