Need Help Now!

Tyra

Okay so I just walked out to my living room to watch tv, and my fish Jelly a orange telescope fish and a fish named Dot (i dont know what she is) are swimming around in the tank I relized at once that she would lay eggs soon, so i called around to price tanks but my dad and mom are out and all we have is a bowl ( that we used to use for decoration) should I put them in the bowl or is there anything better for eggs? oh and should there be rocks in the bowl? ( i need the awnsers quick)

thanks

Can you get a 10 gallon breeding tank? A bowl is too small for the rapid, violent behavior goldfish exhibit when they breed. If you can't get a hold of a 10 gallon tank, maaaybe a 5 would work, and if you can't do that, then I'd just stick with the tank you've got. After the eggs hatch, get a breeder box. Those work fairly well I hear.

Honestly fry are way tooooooo much for me to handle now with a 60 gallon, a 55 gallon , and a 20 gallon tank. They are actually a LOT of work. It really is ok to not let the eggs develop.

Go visit Daryl's board, she raises and saves fish and she has a BARN!

If you have eggs the best thing to do at this point is to vacuum the tank and get them out of there. Especially if you don't have a "boy" fish in there. The fish will eat them and you will muck up your filters.

Try reading up on Daryl's page about raising and breeding fish! Then the next time around you can be prepared!

Your bowl should be fine for hatching the eggs. When I remove eggs, I put them in a 1 gallon jar with an airstone. Don't put any rocks your decorations in the bowl.

You only want an airstone in the bowl to give the eggs good circulation. If the eggs have been fertilized they will hatch in a few days. When they first hatch they will be absorbing their egg sac and won't need to be feed for a few days. Once they become free swimming reduce the circulation and they will need to be fed. The best food for baby fish is newly hatched brine shrimp. There are other fry foods out there but newly hatched brine shrimp is much better than anything else.

Shortly after they hatch (a day or 3) you will need to put the babies in a larger container.

So you should have some time to get something set up. Since the new aquarium won't be cycled you will need to do lots and lots of water changes.

You can also find used tanks cheap on craigslist.